Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kylotan

Visual C++ annoyances Part 45885

Kylotan    9875
Is it just me that gets this from time to time: Creating browse info file... BSCMAKE: error BK1510 : corrupt .SBR file ''.\Debug\somefile.sbr'' This is annoying! Quite often I have to move some code around just to get it to make a valid .sbr file. Other times a full rebuild fixes it, but I hate doing that since my compile times are always 5 minutes or more.

I''m annoyed with computer "advancements" in general.

What annoyed me the very first time I used VC++ (and BCB) is that it had to compile almost 300,000 lines of code to build the demo "Hello World" app.

My second annoyance is that with the new SDKs and libraries and such, you practically need a stinking Pentium III-500, 200Megs free, and 3D hardware accelerated video to build and play "pong". ;-) Since when did fatware become popular? I''m returning to programming from years back, and I''m left shaking my head. I mean, the original Ms. Pacman arcade game ran on a 3MHz Z80 chip (8-bit!) with just a few dozen K! Now a Pentium 166 is the minimum requirements - what happened?!?

aig

DerekSaw    243
delete your .SRB files and Rebuild All again. it might clear it off.

---------
Softwares are getting more complicated and advance (and buggy too), and u need a more powerful processors to do it.
GUIs, alpha-blending, hi-color, hi-resolution, 3d, web aware, audio, video, interactive... these are some [of the all] reasons for fatwares.

Kylotan    9875
quote:
Original post by DerekSaw

delete your .SRB files and Rebuild All again. it might clear it off.

It does. But rebuilding takes an age and a half.

I''m still annoyed that the Visual C++ sample macros never work properly on my system either! But what can you do. I''d use Borland C++ Builder for all my stuff except the text editor is nasty and the debugger not so good either. You can''t win.

null_pointer    289
I would add to the mix lack of standard support. VC seems to lag behind in the language improvement department. Templates, Namespaces (with ClassView), throw() syntax (in function declarations), etc.

An Irritable Gent: I''ll take those as slight exaggerations caused by irritation... I doubt they are really true though... I''d dispute them, but we went over that in DOS vs. Windows a while ago.

Kylotan: What sample macros?

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

Kylotan    9875
quote:
Original post by null_pointer

I would add to the mix lack of standard support. VC seems to lag behind in the language improvement department. Templates, Namespaces (with ClassView), throw() syntax (in function declarations), etc.

Another thing that bugs me is that using the STL throws up so many warnings, lots of ''long identifier'' ones at Level 3 and hundreds of conversion warnings (IIRC) at Level 4. I know this is technically a Dinkumware issue though, not Microsoft. But as long as MSVC gives me ''too many nested #ifdef'' errors with STLPort, I''m stuck with the included version, I guess.

quote:
Kylotan: What sample macros?

MSVC5 comes with sample.dsm (I think) which could be quite useful - there''s one macro to comment out a block of selected text, for instance. The problem is, whenever I use any of these macros, it says it can''t recognise the file type (and therefore doesn''t know whether to apply Basic, HTML, or C++ style operations to it.)

I''ve had a stupid error with MSVC5 couple times. When I went to compile code it would give me strange errors. If i would retype the line word for word the errors would go away. The weird thing is that by retyping it I didn''t modify it at all. Anyone come across this?

Oh, perhaps not a vc thing but is there a set amout of memory that a function can use? I defined 2 classes in winmain and I would get errors on run time but if I declare one of the classes outside of the function then it would run fine. Right now I use pointers and have to delete them after I''m done, but hacking code out to test them has led me to use gotos.

OneEyeLessThanNone
- no signature