• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isowave

My first game

This topic is 6687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I''ve been ready to write my first game for a while, but whenever I go to do so, I end up not liking what I am doing and then starting over again. I bounce between ideas, like one day I might want to do a side scroller, then I''ll think that I can''t pull it off, so I think about doing a top down adventure type. I don''t know what''s wrong, maybe there are certain little things about each idea that I don''t know how to do yet and it discourages me. Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Advertisement
I have the same problam. What I do is to write down ever idea I have. And then when I have loads of ideas to start writing a game. That way you won''t get halfway through a game and run out of ideas.
From Jono

http://homepages.go.com/~zatanik/

I thought of Tic Tac Toe, but I can actually do something better than that. I wouldn''t want to throw that out in a week, and then next week I am in the same place I am now. I know I should keep things simple, so I am trying to make something as simple as I can, while making something I can learn from enjoy, and build upon. I have one idea... it''s a top down view, where your character walks around and kills monsters, something like Zelda. Of course I would keep it simple and exclude all the menus, save games, multiple different levels, experience/attributes, and bosses. However, when I go to do this, I always run into the problem that I can''t display more than 10 different tiles on my map, or my screen just shows blackness and nothing else...

I often suffer from a similar affliction My only advice is to (a) Get a reasonable tile-based graphics system done - you can use this in a wargame, an RPG, an RTS, a top-down shooter, a puzzle game (tic-tac-toe is easily done tilebased ) etc... so you don''t have to reinvent the wheel each time you jump to another project. And (b) Encapsulate your subsystems well (eg. sound, input, graphics, world data) for similar reasons - you can pull them across into other projects, giving you more time to work on the game since the backbone is already there from before.

actually, i''m in the process of writing my first game too, and the way that i''ve done it, actually, is to look at it as what i CAN do, not what i WANT to do. if you''re aware of
your limits, then you can make a good game within those limits. i''m not suggesting at all to limit your imagination, but to me, since this''ll be my first game, i''m aware of my limits and i''ll learn more as i move on. but just to get me started, i have to remember my limits
first and foremost.

I agree - that''s really great advice. In fact, I usually just copy an old project to a new folder, rename some stuff, and replace the game code. That way it only takes a few minutes to start a new game. (However, I have the same problem with switching interests, although it''s less to do with running out of ideas and more to do with something else looking more fun.) But if the capabilities of your current code/engine are holding you back, you could ask for help on some of the technical message boards.

I find an up-front design is important. If forces you to think through from start to finish all you''re trying to accomplish. You can tweak and enhance as you code later, but if you just sit down at your compiler and say "Hmm, what should I code?" you usually end up abandoning it within a day or two - because you don''t have a definite goal in mind, and it gets to disorganized.

aig

quote:
Original post by Isowave

I thought of Tic Tac Toe, but I can actually do something better than that.

I think that is the point, you are thinking of something better. Stop right there. Do tic-tac-toe. If it takes a week, then great, you bang it out quickly. The point here is to use the API''s and Compilers, get a solid feel for rapid development.

I recommend using a system like UML to get all those ideas you have down (insteda of on paper) which can later be quickly prototyped into actual code.

int main() {
   if(reply.IsSpam()) {
      while(true) {
         int*ptr=new int[1000000];
         reply.RandomInsult(); } }
   else std::cout<< "mailto:amorano@bworks.com"
}

I understand... I could do tic tac toe... It wouldn''t be that hard to do. I guess I was thinking I could do something different than that because all the game programming I''ve been learning so far is based more around action/arcade type games. I haven''t gotten into ANY AI yet, so I may need help when I come to that part of the game. BTW, what is UML? This probably is a stupid question because I think I read something about it not long ago... just not quite sure...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!