My first game

Started by
23 comments, last by Isowave 23 years, 12 months ago
BeanDog, I will get started on the guts as soon as I figure out what I am doing wrong with displaying my bitmap... it keeps saying that my program has performed an illegal operation, and I don''t know how to fix it... Another problem I am having is deciding on a background... I am trying stars and galaxies, but it all looks lifeless... might just do some abstract patterns, and in future versions have it change every game...
Advertisement
Look, what I did when I started to make games was do the hardest thing I could possibly do. I knew I would never finish, but I would learn a heck of a lot in the process. And I think learning how to program a game that is actually worth programming is better than finishing a lame tic tac to game. If you do not want to do something extemely hard, I suggest programming a tetris game.
Am I to late for advice? Well I''ll give it anyway.

Isowave, just make a game, a game you like, and program it until you get stumped on a problem. If you can''t finnish it, no problem, you at least got practice. I''ve suffered creating a game and not finnishing it. Well, to my surprise, it only took me 2 tries to actually make a game that I was very satisfied with .

If I run into a problem, I look for a book that explains how to fix it. I then look at my existing code to see if everything is organized right. If it''s wrong, write down what you think you can do to fix it. Now focus on the things you need to fix so the next time you run into that problem, you won''t have a problem .

The only way to really be good at what you do is to just do it, even if you can''t finish it. It''s discouraging, but you''ll learn a lot faster that way. There''s nothing like hands on experiance.
I am having a the same problem as u. I even posted about it also.(''Problems setting up a project skeleton'') Lots of people replied to me and u should look at it.

Beandog: I wrote a version of Pente that I call Cinq, it''s up on www.knightsvalorous.com
It''s kind of buggy and ugly and I haven''t even considered touching it for a while, but it will play once through with no problems *wry smile*
Great board game tho.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement