• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ECKILLER

Cell map engine

This topic is 6610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me to some info on creating a cell based map engine. Or at least get me started. Thanks ECKILLER

Advertisement
Do you mean a tilebased engine? If so, there are several tutorials on this site (I think they''re under the Reference->Programming section).

/. Muzzafarath

Do you want a "raycasting engine",
a "voxel engine",
or an engine that applies textures to polygonal terrain?
I can probably help you with any of those....

Hi,
an engine that applies textures to polygonal terrain

Thats probably the type i want. However i know nothing of implementing one or anything like that. I know opengl and thats about it. This is my first step in actually making something worthwhile.

Basically i need to create realistic terrain for a person to travel on.

I guess then what i first need is an abstract explanation of what needs to be done to implement a polygonal terrain. So if you could do that it would be greatly appreciated. Please start with the basics. Maybe a psuedo code example

ECKILLER

Well, you would want to make a "grid"-like mesh, and then randomize the Y coordinates of the vertices.

Edited by - SHilbert on 4/20/00 2:33:47 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!