Design Documentation

Started by
2 comments, last by Doddler 24 years ago
Hello! I was planing on making an rpg (yeah, I know, everyones making an rpg, but that''s not the point), and I was wondering how detailed I should make the Design Docs. The reason is, is that an RPG is a massive project, and if I don''t plan ahead, the project will just fall apart. But how indepth should I make this document? If I decide to hire a musician for my game, I''ll need to know what he''ll have to do. Anyways, Talk to everyone later! -Doddler
Advertisement
I''m getting bored of design documents *RULES* after four different projects:

Do whatever feels best! Maybe you have a simple idea, and you want to write some doodles, but don''t try to make something that you don''t feel that you don''t need.

I used to fill 10 pages long "forms" which contained every topic in game, but now I see that it didn''t serve me at all, but it server other people who were interested about working on same project. Still, if you are working alone, forget it

Well, for an RPG, I would do the following:

- Record ALL characters, NPCs in the game and their role.

- Make a careful documentation of the plot.

- Make sure to list all features of the interface (in an RPG especially, make sure you know how the battle system will work and things like that)

- Make sketches of animations and attacks. This is something I think everyone SHOULD do, but even I tend to slack off in this area.

This may seem like a lot, but I think it''s all pretty important stuff. Heck, maybe you''ll end up putting MORE info into the design doc, which is great.

I think you should definitely do a large portion of the doc before starting the game, but on the other hand don''t let it take up your life for weeks on end. Unless this is a really major project that will be pitched to companies and commercially published... if not, just do enough to get a good concise game plan.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Ok, thanks for the help every one!!!
-Doddler

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement