If you had just given up a 20K programming job..

Started by
13 comments, last by msmith 24 years ago
Morning folks,

Much obliged for the responses. I''m reluctant to "blow" the next two months by producing a game (partial or otherwise). The demo idea sounds like a winner to me. I know this is a vast field and maths and physics are certainly pre-requisites in many cases. I think an apt analogy here is going to compete with a 3d Dan in a martial arts competition. If you''re going to compete, you need an array of techniques at you disposal, or you''re going to crash and burn. In fact, I think I might do that already. I got into bed last night at 3 am having completed the ray casting engine. I woke this morning at 8am feeling fresh. Likely I''ll fade out come 8pm tonight....

I''m going to go broad brush and learn as many techniques as possible, without trivialising anything that I''m going to demo to an employer. I understand the comment about going for interviews, even if it''s just to gain an appreciation of what development companies are after. That''s too risky a strategy around here, as I''ve only really got Warrington, Manchester and Liverpool to choose from - trying to avoid re-locating if I can!

Better look as a Quake style engine now, as the recasting is a big fudge. A pseudo-3D engine if ever there was one. Some basic trig required (O level, let alone A level) and NO real 3D calcs.

On the Physics class subject - I have to agree. I''ve really enjoyed the maths, so Physics A level in September next stop. After that I''m quitting p/t education. I''m 28 and I''ve been studying p/t throughout my 20s and I''ve had my fill.

Thanks again guys

Martin.
Ps Take a look at Real-time Rendering by Moller and Haines. Make sure your maths is good beforehand!
Advertisement
This post has really helped me alot, I''m 18 and just finishing my maths, physics and computers A-Levels, after this I''ve secured a place at a very good university doing a Computer studies Degree course. I''ve been programming games for years and have started making some 3D programs.

My real passion is games programming and I really want to be a professional, and thanks to what you''ve all written I think I''ve got a very good chance.

Thanks again
Carl Warwick
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
Which university?
Liverpool eh? Try these 2 games companies:

Psygnosis
Bizzare Creations

Very good, train in-house and extravagent saleries .

www.scene.org <-- all the latest information in the demo scene. look here for some very good inspiration

MENTAL

Edited by - MENTAL on 4/22/00 12:48:10 PM
MikeD: Southampton University, as far as I know its one of the best in the country.
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement