If you'd just given up a 20K programming job

Started by
27 comments, last by msmith 23 years, 11 months ago
20K? Please tell me that's not US dollars.

Edited by - Buster on May 14, 2000 2:10:51 AM
Advertisement
20k... Interestingly enough in the uk we get less for a codeing job than the states and theres a major it shortage...

go figure!

As for game codeing, As long as you know teh theory of 3d and all those funky maths + code experience thats all you need.

Should warn you that game coders get even less than normal ones (16k+) for a new recruit.
Popular discussion, well in the UK I started on 12K, 3 years or so ago. That was for very long hours and it doesn''t do much more than double. However the US is sunnier (the parts with the most games companies anyway), cheaper and they pay more like $60-100k. However many companies are impressed with english developers and pay for visas/green cards on top of that.

Go figure 2.
Hi All,

I live in Manchester, so the 20K is not in dollars. I only mentioned the money so as to indicate that this was a serious post and not another adolescent question.

It seems that the real money is to be made in the US!

As for going in as a tester, pah! I''m 28 with two years commercial programming experience with strong maths. I''ve set my sights just a tad higher than tester. As for working my way up from the bottom, well, no frankly. It''s down to me to impress at the interview and assemble a good demo. I''ve completed one 3D engine, so I guess I''ll be ready to start job hunting soon. I''d better wait until I sit the maths A level in a few weeks, though.

I''ll let you all know how I get on. Many thanks for the many (and helpful) comments.

Cheers!

Martin
Hi,

I graduated from UMIST last year and most of my mates have got jobs now. £16-18,000 a year seems about average for grad. S/W engineers with no experience.

I''ve held back, I want a job I''ll enjoy. I fear that working for Barclays IT department or somesuch for two years would put me off computers for good.

I''ve managed (I admit I was lucky) to get some consultantcy work. That''s nice ! Some US company is paying me 40 dollars an hour.

If you''ve got the maths, you have a goodish degree and you''re competent at writing good maintainable code (I know people with firsts who can''t engineer for toffee) then you''d romp an interview right now. Use the months to make a portfolio.

I''d like a games job - I''m more into writing tools and libraries for support (like image and object loaders). I guess I''m pretty sad like that.

Paul Groves.
http://home.clara.net/paulyg/ogl.htm
OpenGL for Beginners
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
Don''t listen to that guy who claims game programming doesn''t pay well. He didn''t make much because he was an college intern at an unknown company that made children''s games. Good game companies pay really well if you are worth it. I wouldn''t recommend quitting your current job to go looking for a job in the games industry though unless you live with your parents. It can take some time to find the right job, even if you are good.
Mike Weldon, a.k.a. FalloutBoymweldon@san.rr.com
Y''know, this is pretty off-topic, but I was given a jolt when I saw this thread. I''ve got a cousin called Martin Smith, who lives in Manchester, and who is about 28.

As far as I''m aware, though, he''s not a programmer. Then again, I''ve not spoken to him much of late. Just a bit of drunken (on my part) banter at Jilly''s/Rockworld.

Still, Smith isn''t exactly uncommon in a surname, and nor is Martin as a first name, I suppose.

Heigh ho. Carry on, nothing to see here.

To get slightly more on-topic:

quote:Original post by pauly
£16-18,000 a year seems about average for grad. S/W engineers with no experience.

Really? I did alright, then. And the national average is now £28,000 for a software engineer in the engineering sector (like me). Maybe next year, eh?

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com
TheTwistedOnehttp://www.angrycake.com
Hoy!

Jilly''s, I remember one very drunken night walking in there, paying my three pounds, having a drink and coming straight out again. Some stoned ''bird'' was crawling around on the floor looking for something (dunno what) - that freaked us all out....

Anyway, that 16-18 grand is for jobs that put you on Graduate Development Programmes (ACK!) You get pay increases every six months.

Two of my mates work for Thomson Marconi Sonar in Stockport - that''s a job I would have liked. They''ll be topping 20 grand in June...

Paul
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
quote:Original post by Pauly

Jilly''s, I remember one very drunken night walking in there, paying my three pounds, having a drink and coming straight out again. Some stoned ''bird'' was crawling around on the floor looking for something (dunno what) - that freaked us all out....

I can imagine.

Anyway, that 16-18 grand is for jobs that put you on Graduate Development Programmes (ACK!) You get pay increases every six months.

Which is why I say I did alright. I walked out of Uni without a degree (by choice, I''d like to point out. It was useless), straight into a job paying £18K (£1K of which was bonus). A proper job, no trial period or anything.

Then again, I already had a year''s industry experience, thanks to mine being a sandwich course.

Two of my mates work for Thomson Marconi Sonar in Stockport - that''s a job I would have liked. They''ll be topping 20 grand in June...

And now I''m on £22K, with bonuses to be decided. But again, 2 of the 5 software engineers just left, one of them being the manager... it scared management into paying us more than they really wanted to. Heh. Cushty.

The moral of the story is that there is a lot more money around than career advisors would have you think. The drought of decent programmers is getting worse, because universities (in the UK, anyway) are more interested in making money than providing a decent education to their undergraduates.

I keep hearing horror stories from people who interview/test, about how even fresh graduates are incapable of the simplest programs. Yes, not capable of "Hello, world!" style things. Doesn''t say a lot for higher education, does it?

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com
TheTwistedOnehttp://www.angrycake.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement