• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onepaul

Death CS technologies, Raise of DirectX and Microsoft?

This topic is 6694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

and while OpenGL is stuck on 1.2, DirectX is up to numero eight, maybe I''m wrong, but more and more games are coming out with DirectX and/or Glide support, the release of new Voodoos won''t help either, it seems as though OpenGL is left for professoinal apps developers... whatever happened to the Fahrenheit project? there are even more APIs on the way, I mean you can do so much with C++, which is dying out as well, and its supposed successor, Java, already molested and mutilated by Bill, ain''t for 3d... And what about the feature in DirectX 8 that will manage an installation process for you, meaning that if you don''t have enough space on your hard drive, it will delete part of the another DirectX 8 software in order to install the program? (errr...how about not making 600MB word processor, Bill?) this is nutz, crazy and *fucked up, I thought Micro$oft lost the lawsuit? one more reason to hate them and the lawyers... but then again, we are to blame we buy their stuff (although I warez every MS program I have), granted they published some good games as of late, but...then again, if you look at the alternatives, the penguin? I thought the days of typing commands were over... and don''t get me started on the window managers, shit, they do look pretty with all those cute transparent x-term windows, but I can''t do shit with that nor can I find my way around... BeOS, what''s the use for a system that can''t make my mouse or my GeForce work... Good thing in this world todays is AMD, kudos to the blokes and girls over at AMD labs for coming out with some top quality stuff and deciding not to use their chip in the MS gaming console, and a ''finger'' to NVIDIA for selling their chip to MS, although it the console will suck (no support for both PC an the g.box? fuck you Bill)... to be continued... cheers, onepaul. since this post has exceeded my standard 55 character posts, I will not check for syntax and logic errors, cheers #2... Totalgl3

Advertisement
You have just earned yourself a personal flamethrowing, attached to your arse and aiming inwards.

They should have won that lawsuit.
Windows is theirs. It belongs to no one else, and to use it is a privalege that they can, by law, take away from us.
No one -should- be able to tell them that no, they can''t make their software however they wish. Isn''t that some amendment or something?
You don''t need to use DirectX. You don''t need to install it. You don''t need to buy Windows.
But people, such as myself, do. And we LIKE the fact that we now no longer have to buy Internet Explorer seperately, or as it is now, spend aoubt a year downloading it.

It is their software, and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it.
Too many people buy it, therefore monopoly. Your justice system can kiss my ass.

But I''m not here to flame, I''m just here to tell you:
1. No one cares about your flame.
2. Because of number 1, don''t post here.
3. Your reasons are for the most part unfounded.
4. Here''s a kitchen table, take a jerkoff under it.

The_Minister

hmm... I was sure the cuss words would get star-ed out, example, you''re a fucken twat, would become, you''re a ****en twat (that a flame ), anyway, unfounded reasons? those are facts of life dummy (flame #2), you probably did not read the whole post, or you have a short term memory of an african ant (flame #3)...

cheers,
onepaul

Since there seems to be a problem formulating coherent responses to dumb questions, I''ll take that responsability on me.

1. OpenGL stuck on 1.2.
Well, SGI can''t help it that they got it RIGHT the first time, and didn''t need 8 friggen versions to "improve" the original design!
2. The Fahrenheit project.
No longer SGI/Microsoft, it will be a part of a new version of DirectX ( The Fahrenheit Scene graph anyway ). However, SGI and a bunch of other important companies are working on something much better that should be done by 2001 if I''m correct - OpenML ( [A HREF="http://www.khronos.org"] Khronos [/A] ). This will be the open version of DirectX, and might just be platform independent if we''re lucky.
3. C++ Dying out.
What planet are you from? Certainly not this one! Last time I checked C++ was anything BUT dying out. Java is a good language, but it never really made a dent in the language market because of bad native support. C++ is a good programming language - it serves a specific purpose, just like VB and Java do. ( And Lisp, Haskell, Prolog, Occam, etc etc etc ).
4. Everything else.
Tssssss... Flaming something you don''t know is never a very good sport you know.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

quote:
Original post by The_Minister
They should have won that lawsuit.
Windows is theirs. It belongs to no one else, and to use it is a privalege that they can, by law, take away from us.
No one -should- be able to tell them that no, they can''t make their software however they wish. Isn''t that some amendment or something?
You don''t need to use DirectX. You don''t need to install it. You don''t need to buy Windows.
But people, such as myself, do. And we LIKE the fact that we now no longer have to buy Internet Explorer seperately, or as it is now, spend aoubt a year downloading it.

It is their software, and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it.
Too many people buy it, therefore monopoly. Your justice system can kiss my ass.
The_Minister

You have spoken words that are very wise.

MICROSOFT RULES!!!!!

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by nes8bit

MICROSOFT RULES!!!!!

Note: That is no joke.

is there a genetic problem that prevents you guys from posting a reply longer than 1 line that actually contains new information?

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

quote:
Original post by The_Minister
No one -should- be able to tell them that no, they can''t make their software however they wish.

Uh, no one is complaining about how they made their software, it is about the issue of dependence.

Since most of the populous who use PC''s, use Windows, it is natural to assume (YES ASSUME) that since most people are unlike ourselves (only 4,500 registered last look) they will follow the choice of M$ and use the IE browser that comes with it.

Such is the dispute. Since most people are mindless cows following each other around, M$ figured it could sweep up the competition. If you take any note of any kind of facts, when Netscape 4.0 was released, Netscape had 85% of the browser market. In the course of a year, from when Win98 was released, it switched to IE 60+ and Netscrape 30. Look it up on CNET, the figures are there.

So, get the news straight and stop spoting M$ propoganda.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!