• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qoy

BeOS

This topic is 6944 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking about downloading and installing BeOS, since they now have a free version and all... I''ve been wanting to try out one of the Windows alternatives for a while now, just as a side project. I was gonna try Linux, but I don''t want to spend a whole lot of time on maintenance Has anyone here used BeOS before? I think it''s OOP orientation looks pretty cool as far as programming for it goes... If anyone has used it, have you had any problems? Thanks for the help! ------------------------------ Jonathan Little invader@hushmail.com http://www.crosswinds.net/~uselessknowledge

Advertisement
BeOS is a really nice OS.
I''ve got the BeoS4.0 and then upgraded to the free BeOS5.
It''s easy to install and run very fast.
Best than any OS I''ve seen (except OS/2), and I''ve tried windows 9x, DOS (arf!), Linux and OS/2.

I''m in the process of learning BeOS programming, as far as I''ve gone, the API is nice and easy to use.

I''ll support it through making a word processor using XML and a Game (untitled sofar)in OpenGL.

The only problem you could face is drivers problems for your video card.
See the Be official list to verify your video card compatibility.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

Yup, BeOS is very cool. The API is very well designed and easy to use. I''m making a game for it right now, and everything is going quite well. Definatly d/l the personal edition and give it a try, but read the hardware compatibility list first.

- genovov

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!