Passing in LPSTR's for char*'s

Started by
5 comments, last by BeanDog 24 years ago
I have a little procedure that takes a char* parameter and changes around that array. Take a look at this demi-code: void SomeFn(char* string) { string[0] = ''h''; string[1] = ''e''; return; } int main() { LPSTR string; SomeFn(string); } This boots me from the program when it is called. Shouldn''t this work? ~BenDilts( void );
Advertisement
You aren''t allocating memory for the string. LPSTR string will only give you a pointer to a char. You still need to do something like string = new char[10]; (or whatever)
I changed it so that I initialize the string like:

LPSTR string = new string[100];

But when I do this:

string = "Junk";

and then call the function, it still boots me. I CAN call the function if I don''t do string = "junk"; though. That probably sets string up as a pointer to the constant string "junk". Is there a way to do this that will still let me call the function?

~BenDilts( void );
If you want to initialize the string in your main function to "junk" then you should do something like
LPCSTR string = new char[100];
strcpy("junk", string);
Or you could simply write:

LPSTR string = "What_Ever";
SomeFn(string);

-EOF
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Or you could simply write:

LPSTR string = "What_Ever";
SomeFn(string);

-EOF

Uh huh. Then you get an access violation as you try to write in a read-only data area. You need to allocate the memory if you plan to write in it.
quote:
Uh huh. Then you get an access violation as you try to write in a read-only data area. You need to allocate the memory if you plan to write in it.

Damn I din´t see that he wrote into the memory, so you are 100% right, this will give a nasty AV (access violation ).

Sorry my fault, it must read with care.

** The AV-guy **

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement