OpenGL + linux

Started by
4 comments, last by timmie 21 years, 5 months ago
Can someone point me in the direction of some good documentation on getting OpenGL up and running in Linux? I want to port my application from Windows to Linux but aren''t sure where to start.
Advertisement
There are a lot of APIs you can use for the base of the low-level setup (Windows, Input, etc.). SDL is a good choice. libsdl.org has some documents on how to setup OpenGL with it.
You''ll probably need libs+headers - search google for ''Mesa,'' which is an implementation of the OpenGL library under Linux.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention that. Most cards work nicely with MESA, but nVidia users have a little work. You must first obtain the drivers from nVidia''s page, build and install them (make && su -c ''make install''). Now, you''ll need to read the readme for information on how to copy nVidia''s GL headers. You''ll also need to obtain glext.h from SGI''s page. Should do it if everything goes already. You may have trouble with GLUT on Debian because it depends on a package, and if you want this to work correctly, you''ll need to build .deb files. Ask for help in #debian on irc.debian.org.
quote:Original post by aggregate
You may have trouble with GLUT on Debian because it depends on a package, and if you want this to work correctly, you''ll need to build .deb files. Ask for help in #debian on irc.debian.org.

About the NVidia drivers in Debian: Just apt-get nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src and read the instructions in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian.gz and /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-src/README.Debian on how to package and setup the drivers.

NVIDIA users do not need Mesa. Nvidia drivers come with an OpenGL implementation that is much better then Mesa. Just follow instructions at NVIDIA site. In fact do not install mesa or it will mess up with NVIDIA drivers.

If brute force does not solve your problem....you''re not using enough!
If brute force does not solve your problem....you're not using enough!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement