handling keyboard input

Started by
5 comments, last by dario_s 21 years, 5 months ago
Im wondering if anyone knows how to do this without using DirectX and yet do it smoother than with a plain windows message handler..? Is there no API, like fmod for music? I dont wanna use DirectInput because it seems foolish to mix DirectX with OpenGL when I''ve already made everything else without using DirectX...
Advertisement
You could use SDL for setting up GL, the Window, and input. Although, I believe it uses DirectInput as a backend because it''s the only real thing Windows has. But, hey, atleast you don''t have to use it directly. There''s nothing wrong with that though, Quake has used GL + DirectInput/Sound.
that must have been quake1/2..?
Because quake runs under Linux, and that wouldnt be possible if they used directX... Or do they use diffrent API''s depending on the OS?
Yeah, I highly recomand SDL.
It is much easier than DX, and it is portable too. BTW, SDL is all C, so, if you are a C programmer, you will find it MUCH nicer.
Quake 1 and 2 use straight X11 for most things, and also offer SDL backends (but give a few warnings, but IIRC, SDL wasn''t really that mature in those days). Can''t say anything about Quake3''s situation on Linux, but it''s probably SDL, since it runs better (that, or Carmack became more fluent with X11).

Anyway, I was preferring to the Win32 version. You probably don''t need to write a backend for every subsystem for every target platform like Carmack did, so you can stick to SDL.
whats SDL ???
sorry for the stupid question, i just don''t know.
To answer it in a few words, SDL is a DX that works on a lot of platforms
For more info, go here: http://www.libsdl.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement