Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markdezonia

memory leak problems

memory leak problems Whats types of code can give a memory leak ? Whats the best way to find a memory leaks if you have lots and lots of code and it's not even your code how do you find them? line by line? windows gdi+ has given me some problems can you see the leak? const int BMAP=80; const int BREC=BMAP*BMAP; long deltaX =BMAP*20; long deltaY =BMAP*20; static RECT rctGrid; // grid-window rectangle static RECT rect[BREC]; // grid-cell array HRGN hrgnCell; // test-region handle HDC hdc; // device context (DC) handle float x, y; // drawing coordinates POINTS ptlHit; // mouse coordinates int i; // count variable PAINTSTRUCT ps; hdc = GetDC(hdlg); Graphics* myGraphics; Pen* pen; pen = new Pen(Color(255-LC.A,LC.R,LC.G,LC.B), 1); myGraphics = new Graphics(hdc); SolidBrush solidBrush(Color()); //lots of stuff //releaseing and deleteing ReleaseDC(hdlg, hdc); delete myGraphics; delete pen; DeleteObject(hrgnCell); this code is called several times a secound. I lose a megabit every 3 seconds times. what's leaking? [edited by - markdezonia on November 1, 2002 7:08:53 AM]

Lint/Splint your code. It will find gobs o'' possible erros, you''ll be surprised what it can find. 10 errors in a 6 line function is not that unusual.

www.splint.org
(And RTFM goes with this tool. It''s quite advanced) :-)

its also generally a good rule of thumb not to dynamically allocate/deallocate memory on a per-frame basis. wouldn''t it be easier to define them before the frame loop, and delete them after?