• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setting Matrices in a 2d-Engine

This topic is 5680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How should I set the world, projection and view matrix(dx8) when creating a 2d engine? At the moment I''m doing it like this:

D3DXMATRIX mat;
	//Projection Matrix

D3DXMatrixOrthoLH(&mat,
		m_ScreenWidth,
		m_ScreenHeight,
		0.0f,
		100.0f);
	m_lpD3DDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &mat);

//World Matrix

D3DXMatrixIdentity(&mat);
	m_lpD3DDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &mat);

//View Matrix

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&m_mat,
		&D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f),
		&D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f),
		&D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));

m_lpD3DDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &mat);

I searched quite some time, but didn''t find any good tutorials on how to build a more advanced sprite engine(Only a lot of tuts on how to draw a triangle, spin it, texture it,... ) As I have it now it works fine for displaying sprites, however, I don''t seem to be able to scale them. Now I''m not sure, if it''s because of the matrices, but this is code I''m not fully sure about. What I want to do: -scale sprites -I only want/need to move the camera in x,y direction. -other fancy _3D_ things like particle systems I hope someone is able to help me. AngelForce -- If you find any mistakes, you''re allowed to keep ''em! ''When I look back I am lost.''

Advertisement
From your writings, I take it that you try to code an engine for a 2d RPG (snes ff style), or a strategy (c&c or dune2 style).

In any case, I''m on this project as well, so I think I can help; first of all, check my other current post "...3 DirectX related questions", where I have put a piece of my own code, which DOES use sprites (scaled as well) AND particles.

A few general guidelines: you have done well using the orthogonal (orthocanonic in greek) projection matrix, since it does not scale the polygons based on their distance from the camera (a.k.a. it only takes x and y coords in consideration, which is exactly what we want :D ); just be sure to set the world and view matrices correctly, or you''ll see nothing. Nada. Niet. Zip. One more thing: as for scaling sprites, if you use the D3DXSprite interface, just use the scale parameters already implemented, if you use custom-made polygons (quads etc.), set the world matrix appropriately!

That''s that, I guess. Any questions? I''m not an eexpert myself, but I guess we must all help each other, or else we''ll just keep bumping on the same issues and rediscovering the wheel all the way from the start .

Hope this helped.
Flare

-----------<<>>-----------
Ga1adaN, Primus ante Adein
flareman@freemail.gr
-----------<<>>------------

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!