X or else...

Started by
15 comments, last by Pipo DeClown 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I have PRPG, and it is a very good book. I think that Jim did a good job in teaching the concepts before creating a core or library, so that the user actually understands what he/she is using. I don''t use Jim''s core, but I used it to model my current engine. I don''t know about Jim, but I think it was intended as an example, or something so that the very impatient people would be able to hammer out a game in a short amount of time.

I find most computer books are very hard to work with, because most people (including some authors) do not know how to "read" a computer book. You need to approch it very dynamically, not in any order (ie, chap 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). What I mean is, you can''t just say your going to sit down and read the whole book and then expect to know everything

You need to use it as a type of reference. When you need more information, you can sit down and read a few chapters. Otherwise, just have it on your desk so you can quickly refer to it when you are stuck. I think Jim did a good job of separating practical from theory. In-between code there is not much writing, so it is easy to find things quickly.

I was also disapointed to see that skinned x-files were not addressed in the book, but now I realize that it would have been very hard to fit them in, as they are a big topic. I think that Microsoft should really devote a large portion of the sdk to skinned x files in the next release.

Until some other resource comes out for loading skinned x files, I guess we''ll either have to use another format (such as MD2) or spend countless hours searching the web or someones code.

Fuzztrek

¬_¬
Advertisement
I'm not disliking it, its a GREAT book, but I, myself, expected more programming with Direct3D -and maths.

I find Jim a genius, like the cStateManager, I couldnt have come up with anything better then that...

assert( g_bPeace == true );

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on November 2, 2002 8:42:16 AM]
No problem. I wish it could have been more advanced as well, but as it is now, the spine keeps breaking None of us (my publisher or I) knew the book would end up so big at the printer. After my new book, I think I just want to write a few articles for my web page to help clear those other missed topics up.

You should definitely write an article about skinned meshes, seems that nobody gets them!
I have read about using x files and stuff, and im currently trying to understand the skinned mesh in SDK, but what I could not figure out is, how to animate these .x files. I tried to create my character in 3ds max and animated it. But I guess the xfile exporter would not export key framed animation... so how can I export or create my animation...
Some guy told me that it was in the animationset {}
So will I change every single element in the mesh?

i hope someone could help.
I''ve actually just ordered the book, because I see good reviews on all the programming book sites I see.
Good, because its not a bad book, just not what I expected. It does what it says, teach you how to make an RPG.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement