• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iptables help

This topic is 5593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to set up iptables on this linux machine, and all I want allowed are ftp and www. So I should allow only ports 21 and 80, right? Well why doesn''t this work: Before I block any ports, I can ftp in to localhost and I can connect to localhost in a web browser just fine. but after I run these iptables commands: #iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --sport 0:20 -j DROP #iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --sport 22:79 -j DROP #iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --sport 81:65535 -j DROP I cannot ftp in or connect to localhost in a web browser. I supposedly left ports 21 (ftp) and 80 (www) open, I assume.. so why can''t I get in? I can FTP in and WWW in up until the point I block ports 81-65535. I also noticed that I can''t get anything out. Did I block a network port or something? What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You blocked the wrong end of the connection (sport is `source'' port, not `server'' port). Use --dport instead.

• Advertisement