To MIDI or not to MIDI

Started by
3 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 12 months ago
The guy I''m getting for sound in my project is curious about the importance of MIDI in game production. How often is MIDI used for games? What are the alternatives? I need to tell him whether or not he''ll need to learn it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
You can do a lot with MIDI these days... With direct music, you can do some really cool sounding stuff... What is he used to for game music, if anything at all? Is he just a music guy as of now, or has he done music on the computer before?
I''m certain he''s done music with computers in the past, just not in MIDI. I''m just wondering, what is the industry standard?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I''m not the best/final word on this, but he must not have done much if he''s never touched midi. Everything in game music used to be midi, but other techniques and programs started to change this. Wave table and wave guide synthesis made it possible for very real world sounding music... Now you''ve got a variety of techniques, and midi is making a comeback with sfx, and DirectMusic. I guess it depends on how big your project is and what you can afford. People seem to think that DirectMusic is a pretty hot newcomer. You can mix synthesized sounds with midi, and even have it generate music for you... However, there is a learning curve involved... once again, I am not an expert at it, but if you got a small project going, midi is good, and there''s not much to learn about it... the only thing he''ll really be learning is the sequencer software...

Get a second opinion too... if no one else replies to your message, I''ll ask around for you... in fact I''ll do it anyways... good luck on the project
Thanks for the info. I''m just gonna send him here to read all that. This site is so cool...

Where does the Landfish live? Everywhere. Is not the Landfish the Buddha?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement