Which Environment to use with OpenGL¿?

Started by
1 comment, last by tm06259 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi all. I''m trying to program an Appz with tipical menus and bars and buttons.This App must have a little frame whith a 3dworld in OpenGL. My question is, which environment is the best to program with opengl: MFC''s, Visual Basic....¿?¿?¿I need the most-easily programmable, and the fastest way to run opengl over it. XCuse my poor english. Best regards, Dave
Advertisement
quote:Original post by tm06259
My question is, which environment is the best to program with opengl: MFC''s, Visual Basic....¿?¿?¿

MFC is an API and VB is a programming language. An environment probably comes closest to being the combination of the OS and the IDE you''re working with. Generally, you should code opengl stuff in the language you''re most comfortable with. If you''re coding for windows, it would probably be best to stay away from GUI API''s, such as MFC, as these can produce unnecessary overhead. If you''re planning on going cross-platform, you should try out GLUT or some other API out there specialized for either Linux only, or multiple platforms (not my speciality, i must admit).

quote:
I need the most-easily programmable ...

GLUT regarding the windowing and pipelining framework.

quote:
... and the fastest way to run opengl over it.

It''s not the language that makes a program - it''s the programmer.

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
QT works really great. QT is a cross platform(linux win mac etc...) GUI api. They have great support for OpenGL. If you download it they have a bunch of examples with OpenGL. Check it out at www.trolltech.com/qt

KDE, a popular linux windows manager uses KDE so if you have linux with any big distro(redhat mandrake etc...) it should at least have the libs on it.
--------------------------Nukemmsn: nukem996@hotmail.comaim: nukem996open source open mind

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement