Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basiror

texture sizes not multiple of 2

i wonder how they did it in halflife there you can use 144*144 as texture for example in my engine those textures aren t displayed do they scale the image to the next biggest 2^x where they fit in i think there is a scale function somewhere or can i disable this stupid limitation

They scale it up to 256x256, or down to 128x128. I believe this is configurable actaually. It was in glquake

Edit: configurable in that you can choose whether they scale up or down

[edited by - demosh on November 2, 2002 10:45:56 PM]

No, that''s not the only way. You can, in fact, use textures whose heights and widths aren''t powers of two by enabling an OpenGL extension: NV_texture_rectangle. I don''t know too much about it, but I''m sure you could find out about it at the OpenGL extensions repository here

However, this has an obvious limitation: it only works on selected graphics cards. Another way you could do it is this (if the texture really has to be it''s original size): take the image, put it into a power-of-two texture that''s bigger (for your 144x144 image, put it into a 256x256 texture) and then tweak your texture coords so that only the 144x144 image bit shows on the 144x144 quad its being displayed on...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]