The importance of random maps

Started by
15 comments, last by Fonz 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey all, Im creating a RTS at the moment and I want to know how people feel about random maps.. ie, whether or not they''re worth the effort. Generally larger scale games like Civilisation etc. include the option for random maps but in games like Warcraft 3 there are only fixed maps. Is this because of the "fairness" aspect? I know i''d feel ripped of if I got my first loss on battlenet because I only had access to one gold mine. Maybe if I made sure important items/locations such as gold mines etc. were located fairly. With terrain/landscape more randomised? ie, different choke points/rivers etc.. I feel that randomising my game maps is important, mainly because it adds to a players uncertanty. I dont know about everyone else, but I this its more fun playing a brand new game for the first time at a lan. (ie, where nobody knows whats going on). So let me know what you think! cheers, Fonz
Advertisement
Random maps are very important in player-vs-player games. It means people have to learn to be good at the game instead of learning all the tricks you can do in each map and beating the opposition that way.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Even better is to include the map editor with your game so users can create their own maps. You''ll notice that''s what games which don''t have a "random map" generator do (i.e. Warcraft III)...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
Go out to your local store and shell out $7 for Microsoft''s Age of Empire''s (the first one, it should be in the bargain bin) for "research" purposes. AoE has an excellent random map generator, I''ll see if I can dig up some articles on how it worked. You might also think about how random maps might help in saving space. The first RTS, Dune 2, actually used random maps (even though you couldn''t play a skirmish) and so for each level there was a seed value to generate the map, some corrections and placements for enemy units along with the mission objectives. In all each map only used a few hundred bytes of space.

This post qualifies for 100 per cent Canadian Content under the rulings of the Canadian Internet Commission and the Federal Ministry of Communication. There are four Americans who worked on this post, but they all have landed immigrant status, and have signed CRTC affidavits swearing that they drink beer, eat back bacon, drive snowmobiles and wear toques. Any resemblance between the Content of this post and the content of any American post is purely coincidental and not the intention of the poster or the various Internet Agencies of the Canadian Government who have screened these posts prior to bulk erasing in accordance with the policies of the Federal Internet Identity Board.
For random maps, you can always place some resources after creating the general terrain. Calculating distances from the initial starting locations, you can make sure that things like gold mines aren''t positioned all around one specific player.

I second the reccomendation to check out the AoE game, and if it''s cheap enough, get AoE:Age of Kings instead. I know the third Age game just came out or is nearing release, AoE:Age of Mythology, so the second should be cheaper.

£§
£§
quote:Original post by siaspete
Random maps are very important in player-vs-player games. It means people have to learn to be good at the game instead of learning all the tricks you can do in each map and beating the opposition that way.
Hmm, what''s wrong with getting better by knowing all the tricks in a map? It''s just different kind of "getting better in a game", and actually I quite like that. It almost quarantees you''ll get better just by playing, like in MMORPGs. If the game is all just about "pure skill", you may never get that much better reflexes or better aim, so you won''t feel like you''re improving.

C++: Boost | GOTW tips | GOTW articles | FAQ lite | CUJ
quote:Original post by Hanz
Hmm, what''s wrong with getting better by knowing all the tricks in a map? It''s just different kind of "getting better in a game", and actually I quite like that. It almost quarantees you''ll get better just by playing, like in MMORPGs. If the game is all just about "pure skill", you may never get that much better reflexes or better aim, so you won''t feel like you''re improving.

well, it''s like going online for some counterstrike. when ever there''s a new map they are loosers again, but in dust they are gods. it''s all about knowing every trick of every thing (and every trick of every cheat), but playing? no. they can''t play. they just know more tricks to fool you than yourself, even while you''re good.

worms never gave you a chance to win just by knowing that "if i''m there, no one can catch me" or something like that. there you need to be a good player..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

quote:Original post by davepermen
there you need to be a good player..
The problem is that everyone wants to become a good player, but it takes a lot of practice to become more skilled. Not many are patient enough for that. But gathering knowledge (about the map and the game in general) is easy and fast, everyone can do that. So by getting knowledge instead of real skill, you quickly become better. And who wouldn''t like that? It still leaves the gap for true masters of the game to shine, but they just have to know the maps too

C++: Boost | GOTW tips | GOTW articles | FAQ lite | CUJ
Random maps can be very dangerous in competitive games. The biggest problem is balance. Its not necesary or really a good idea IMO to always make maps symetrical, but they need to be fair. Each starting position should has several viable openings and mid-late game strategies.

You also lose a lot of the cool little tricks that people learn with each map. Blizzard RTSs are a good example of this. Yes, it does give an experienced player an advantage over a new player, but if you are looking to make a competitive game: thats how it should be. These cool tricks like chop-hoping, walling, and cliff trick do add a lot of depth and strategy to your game.

I dunno, they can be cool but I''d rather have well made and balanced maps that can be learned and mastered with time. I just think it adds some more depth to the game, rather than playing a similiar but random map each time.

RAtman
hey all. Thanks for your replys!

I''ve played AoE before and it has got a good random map generator.

I agree that players that "learn" the map are/can be very good. I think that the little tricks people can use are also very cool and fun.

I don''t think however that these little tricks increase peoples overall enjoyment of the game.

(I think) Too often nowadays people are winning because they have played this map several hundred times.
It''s just plain boring rehursing out the same tricks for one map over and over.

I want my game to be map independent. Players should be able to adapt to any type of map. If they want to do their little tricks they should look for terrain thats "almost" what they want.

Hmm... well this is how I feel.

cheers,
Fonz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement