Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DJohnson

Loading 3D Files - Easy Question for you Pros

OK, guys. I got this OpenGL book I''ve been going through, and it doesn''t seem to give me any instructions on how to load a 3D File so I can start displaying more than just that damnable teapot. Should I just go ahead and begin working on my new game "Teapot Fighter: The Revenge" or is there an easy way to load in some other meshes? Perhaps GLUT provides a method my book didn''t mention? - Doug the Chemically Imbalanced Lemming

neither one of opengl, glu, or glut provide an easy way to load anything. you''ll have to write a loader yourself, find an already written one, or stick to teapots

i have written a .map file compiler

you can create .map files with worldcraft

it converts the brushes to surfaces calculates the texture coordinates and exports everything into a binary file which is easy to load in

i will release beta 2 soon

[edited by - Basiror on November 3, 2002 9:24:33 AM]

Personally, I think "Teapot Fighter: The Revenge" would be a big hit...

There are a whole bunch of file formats which are used to store models/meshes, and a whole bunch of tutorials out there which describe how to load them into your program to do something useful. Among the best are those over at www.gametutorials.com, where you can find tutorials on id Software''s *.md2 and *.md3 model formats, along with *.ase and *.obj loaders. There''s also a *.bsp loader, which deals with Quake III BSP levels, if you''re interested...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

No more teapots for you

I just releases Spider3D v3 Open Source. Spider3D can load and draw 3ds, md2 and the native s3d model files. It even comes with a plugin that exports s3d models from LightWave3D[7].

It''s all Open Source so you can use the code to show you how to load your own models.

You can get Spider3D at http://www.spider3d.com