Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lc_overlord

Next contest thread

Ok i thought it was about time to post this since NeHe asked for ideas for the next contest. I got two ideas 1. Xmas card - Your best computerized crismas eye candy. 2. Matrix 2&3 - just got to love em.

I suggest that for the next contest you allow entries without source code. I know that you all want to learn from those demos, but there could be a special category for those entrants just for honnor (no prize, or prize if you want ).

Also if that was too hard to mix the two categories at the same time you could make one each two ?

www.mpw2002.fr.st

quote:
Year 7129

What about 7131? That''ll be a good year.

I would enjoy any of the ideas listed.

Here is another idea: character animation.

You create a character and animate it. It could be a cat, a human, Wallace and Gromit, whatever. The person who creates the best character animation would win. I''ve noted that this is one of the most difficult things to achieve, nice smooth character movements, along with an effective looking model.

You could have it speak, run, jump, etc.

quote:

not using 3DS max or any other commercial modeling software

Why no commercial software?

I can guss you ment because:
-it would make the contest harder and give it substance
-it would force us to develop our own formats and animation systems

I curious why you dont want it

If we did have commercial software we would get better looking models (i bet you most would be downloaded) and we would get right to the "meat and potatoes" of animation. That is, we would all be focusing on smooth animations along with an animation managment system. We could also focus on developing effects like Foreward and Inverse Kinematics, which would generaly improve all of our demos.

However, i dont think we should focus on one aspect (regardless of how needed it is). We should make the contest as diverse as possible so that we would get more applicants and learn to do as many things as possible from the entries.

well, I figured if commercial apps were allowed, people would just use an existing model and animate it, essentially taking the short cut. Maybe there''s merit in focusing purely on the animation but then the competition is just who can use 3Ds Max or Milkshape the best. Is there someway to encourage innovation in modeling and animation ?

What about no external data used. Just your code. All the runtime generated objects & textures you can think of. This would be also very friendy for us slow-connection-modem-users...

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

I agree with you _DarkWIng_, that''s a good idea, a contest on 3D procedural shape generation.
No external soft, no crazy model or texture from the net, just a good algo and nice rendering ! I vote for that idea.

www.mpw2002.fr.st

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_
What about no external data used. Just your code. All the runtime generated objects & textures you can think of. This would be also very friendy for us slow-connection-modem-users...

hmmn I can know the winner of such contest from now.
what me? no... guess whom...

I am thinking of Nature demo...

-----------------------------

DaHeR.RailgunMaster

i like _DarkWIng_:S idea but i think that loaded textures still has to be used.
But you could have a standard set of 3-4 small bitmaps to work with.
Like a particle, a concrete texture, and a smoke cloud.

lc_overlord : all the textures you mention can be made at runtime
particle : simple radial falloff from center of texture
concrete : random noise then add some gaussian blur & emboss filter
smoke cloud : combine particle texture with perlin noise
Anthing else? Fonts? Just load truetype fonts and convert them to texture at runtime.

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on November 5, 2002 8:13:28 AM]

but that will stop new users from participating... This needs a lot of work. but loading textures made in photo programs is easier... but how about keeping the object''s idea and textureing them?

DaHeR.RailgunMaster

quote:
Original post by daher
[quote]Original post by _DarkWIng_

hmmn I can know the winner of such contest from now.
what me? no... guess whom...

I am thinking of Nature demo...

DaHeR.RailgunMaster

I like the nature demo idea, rolling terrain with creatures moving around in grazing etc.

Personally I think a demo along the lines of the generated stuff would be a good idea. How about a slight change.

Say if we allowed textures but banned all models? This would mean that people who were/knew good artists wouldn't have such a big edge.

I think that models make a big difference, and even though most people know that programmer art (TM) is going to be bad and try to ignore it, subconsciously(sp?) you mark it down.

How about a marking scheme where you *can* use textures, but the less you have, the more brownie points you get.

------------------------------
Baldur K
GLProgramming.com. Coming soonIt's here!
Talk to me on ETG: #opengl and #gametutorials.

[edited by - baldurk on November 5, 2002 2:27:11 PM]

you guys are forgetting that most people who go to nehe''s site
are beginners. the suggestions thus far (for the most part) would
require a pretty advanced knowledge. i seriously doubt the contest
would be a success if you picked something that concrete.
look at the contests he''s had in the past- loose design rules..
very flexible.

oh, and if there were a catagory for no-source then im sure you''d
see alot more people joining (like myself).

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

NeXius : You are somehow right about this. But the problem is most people don''t know how to cut down size of music files. And in general how to save space. I know if you have xDSL connection 2mb more or less is something you don''t ever think about but DL 2mb with 3kbps is not so fun. If you have 300k demo exe and 5mb mp3 track something looks wery wrong to me.

eldee : You are right. Most people here are begginers. But not all. Just make 2 categorys. A loose one where you can use all the things you want. A contest for prize. And make another category just for "Fame And Glory"(TM). No source code required, but also no external stuff alowed. Then you decide which one you will enter. How does this sound?

Yea I like that

For some reason I doubt many people would enter this contest, so I think it would make sense to have it along with another

I''d enter for sure.. I love this idea
No textures or models means funky colors, maybe some particle effects, and objects generated through the use of freaky math functions

Doesn''t really follow the way NeHe''s designed his contests in the past tho...