• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cliffski

What symbol means 'options' to you?

This topic is 5694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Kind of a part design/ part art question... I need icons for a shootemup game for a few menu choices. I have quite good ones for Start Game (Play button from stereo systems) for Help(question mark) and Quit (door with arrow) but I can''t settle on a good one that means ''options'' (change screen res etc). Anyone have any bright ideas? It has to be a quite simple thing that can be done in just black and white. Thanks! http://www.positech.co.uk

Advertisement
2 suggestions:

- A big "O" (okay, not very imaginative)

- 3 dots in a vertical line at the left, with horizontal lines to the right of them, so that it looks sort of like 3 radio buttons

www.bankie.com

hmm...I''ve seen a wrench used for an options icon, though I''m not clear on why that indicates game options. I''ve also seen a little monitor used for a display settings button. The latter makes more sense to me. Maybe it wouldn''t hurt to use the word ''options'' in this case... or maybe a small representation of what the options screen looks like.

Hope I helped.

A wrench is often used because of the assciation with ''adjustment" (ie adjust settings). It is widely accepted as the icon for options so it should be intuative enough. If you don''t like that then maybe look around at a few games and see what they use (most just use text though). Don''t revert to text unless you have to.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!