What symbol means 'options' to you?

Started by
16 comments, last by cliffski 21 years, 5 months ago
Kind of a part design/ part art question... I need icons for a shootemup game for a few menu choices. I have quite good ones for Start Game (Play button from stereo systems) for Help(question mark) and Quit (door with arrow) but I can''t settle on a good one that means ''options'' (change screen res etc). Anyone have any bright ideas? It has to be a quite simple thing that can be done in just black and white. Thanks! http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
2 suggestions:

- A big "O" (okay, not very imaginative)

- 3 dots in a vertical line at the left, with horizontal lines to the right of them, so that it looks sort of like 3 radio buttons

www.bankie.com
A wrench like this one may do.

[edited by - Diodor on November 3, 2002 5:34:09 PM]
hmm...I''ve seen a wrench used for an options icon, though I''m not clear on why that indicates game options. I''ve also seen a little monitor used for a display settings button. The latter makes more sense to me. Maybe it wouldn''t hurt to use the word ''options'' in this case... or maybe a small representation of what the options screen looks like.

Hope I helped.
A wrench is often used because of the assciation with ''adjustment" (ie adjust settings). It is widely accepted as the icon for options so it should be intuative enough. If you don''t like that then maybe look around at a few games and see what they use (most just use text though). Don''t revert to text unless you have to.
______________________________"Crack a government encryption code on my laptop? Easy as really difficult pie." - Willow.------------------------------
I vote for Bankie''s radio buttons, but whatever you choose use tool-tips or a status bar to dispel any ambiguity.
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Checkmarks
quote:Original post by Ditto Brother Rat
Checkmarks

Exactly.
You could draw a computer.
A gear. Doubles as a big ''O''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement