• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PointSprites

This topic is 5677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of, or has written, or perhaps can write, a simple example of creating, texturing, and displaying one simple point sprite without any extras? I really want to learn to use them so I can attempt a particle engine. I read over the msdn SDK example and I just get so lost because it has millions of calculations, variables, and extra more complicated code. I also looked over the tutorials in msdn but thier texturing example doesn''t deal with alpha values. Things i am fuzzy on are: what fvf to use how to combine texture for alpha with color in the program (big one) what coords are needed, a single vertex, a triangle, or a quad how to change the size or mass of the particle (point sprite) I am pretty lost aren''t I? Saving up money for some good direct3d books but still trying to learn what i can until that time. I made an attempt at a program that is supposed to display one pointsprite large enough for the viewer to see however nothing is displayed and I can''t figure out why. I will include the source in case I am lucky enough to find someone willing to go through it. Thanx, Christopher //--------------------------------------------------------------------- // GraphicSystem.cpp // // Christopher Pisz // 10/25/02 //--------------------------------------------------------------------- #include "GraphicSystem.h" LPDIRECT3D8 g_d3d =NULL; // D3D object LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8 g_device =NULL; // Our rendering device D3DXMATRIX g_matrix_world; // World matrix D3DXMATRIX g_matrix_view; // View matrix D3DXMATRIX g_matrix_proj; // Projection matrix LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER8 g_vertex_buffer =NULL; // Buffer to hold vertices LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE8 g_texture =NULL; // Single texture POINTVERTEX g_pointsprite; // One red point sprite //----------------------------------------------------------------------- // Initialize Direct3D //----------------------------------------------------------------------- HRESULT InitD3D(HWND hWnd) { D3DDISPLAYMODE mode; // Display Mode D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS params; // Display Parameters // Create the D3D object, which is needed to create the // rendering device g_d3d=Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION); if(!g_d3d) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to create D3D object", "InitD3D()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } // Get the current desktop display mode if(FAILED(g_d3d->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,&mode))) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to get current display mode", "InitD3D()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } // Set rendering device params ZeroMemory(¶ms,sizeof(params)); params.Windowed = TRUE; params.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; params.BackBufferFormat = mode.Format; params.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE; params.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16; // Create the rendering device if(FAILED(g_d3d->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd, D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, ¶ms, &g_device))) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to create D3D device", "InitD3D()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } // Turn on the zbuffer g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE,TRUE); // Enable alpha blending g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE); g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE); g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE); // Set the texture stage state g_device->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); g_device->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); g_device->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE ); g_device->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_MODULATE ); // Enable point sprites g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_POINTSPRITEENABLE, TRUE); // Turn on ambient lighting g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_AMBIENT, 0xffffffff); // Set the point size g_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_POINTSIZE, (DWORD)1.00f); return S_OK; } //---------------------------------------------------------------------- // Initialize Gemometry //---------------------------------------------------------------------- HRESULT InitGeometry() { BYTE* ptr =NULL; // Pointer to the vertex buffer memory // Initialize the pointsprite g_pointsprite.v =D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); g_pointsprite.color =D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255,255,255,155); // Create a texture from a file based image if(FAILED(D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(g_device,"particle.bmp",&g_texture))) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to load texture", "InitGeometry()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } // Create the vertex buffer if(FAILED(g_device->CreateVertexBuffer(1*sizeof(POINTVERTEX), 0,D3DFVF_POINTVERTEX,D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&g_vertex_buffer))) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to Create Vertex Buffer", "InitVB()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } // Fill the vertex buffer if(FAILED(g_vertex_buffer->Lock(0,sizeof(g_pointsprite), &ptr,0))) { MessageBox(NULL,"Failed to lock vertex buffer", "InitVB()",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION); return E_FAIL; } memcpy(ptr, &g_pointsprite ,sizeof(g_pointsprite)); g_vertex_buffer->Unlock(); return S_OK; } //---------------------------------------------------------------------- // Set Matrices //---------------------------------------------------------------------- HRESULT SetMatrices() { // Set up the projection matrix D3DXMatrixIdentity(&g_matrix_proj); D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&g_matrix_proj,D3DX_PI/4, 1.0f, 1.0f, 100.0f); g_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION,&g_matrix_proj); // Set up our view matrix. D3DXMatrixIdentity(&g_matrix_view); D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&g_matrix_view, &D3DXVECTOR3( 0.0f, 0.0f,-3.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f)); g_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW,&g_matrix_view); // Set world matrix D3DXMatrixIdentity(&g_matrix_world); g_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD,&g_matrix_world); return S_OK; } //---------------------------------------------------------------------- // Render the scene //---------------------------------------------------------------------- HRESULT Render() { // Check for valid device if(!g_device) return E_FAIL; // Clear the backbuffer g_device->Clear(0,NULL,D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0,0,0), 1.0f, 0); // Begin the scene g_device->BeginScene(); // Set up the matrices SetMatrices(); // Rendering of scene objects can happen here g_device->SetTexture(0, g_texture); g_device->SetStreamSource(0,g_vertex_buffer,sizeof(POINTVERTEX)); g_device->SetVertexShader(D3DFVF_POINTVERTEX); g_device->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_POINTLIST,0,1); // End the scene g_device->EndScene(); // Present the backbuffer contents to the display g_device->Present(NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL); return S_OK; } //---------------------------------------------------------------------- // Clean-up Direct3D //---------------------------------------------------------------------- VOID CleanupD3D() { // Release texture if(g_texture) { g_texture->Release(); g_texture=NULL; } // Release the device object if(g_device) { g_device->Release(); g_device=NULL; } // Release the Direct3D COM object if(g_d3d) { g_d3d->Release(); g_d3d=NULL; } } I sure hope the source tags worked, they didn''t last time. Thanx, Christopher

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!