Modelling a City (like GTA: Vice City)

Started by
3 comments, last by podbuster 21 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible for me to build/model a city such as the city in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City? I have Maya PLE & 3D Studio Max 4.2. Will these be acceptable for modelling a city for use in a game? If so, could someone point me to a website or something that will help me in modelling a city? Thanks in advance. PodBuster [edited by - podbuster on November 3, 2002 6:56:07 PM]
Advertisement
well... unless I assume wrong I think you need to set your initial goals a little lower, start with individual objects and slowly work your way up. Btw: you can´t export anythign with the PLE of Maya.
In the 3dstudio4 cd-2 (tutorial) came a tutorial(lol) to made a little city.
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
I''m not using Maya or Studio Max in my current project, so can''t help you there (I''m using TrueSpace to create models which I then import into my own graphics engine). And while I''m not modelling a city, I am modelling pretty large castles and towns in a full 3D landscape.

Basically I''m using a ''Lego'' system where each castle or town is made up of a large number of building bricks (these being towers, gates, wall sections, houses, etc). My advice would be to do the same - create a few buildings, scatter them about your world map and see how things are performing. Sort out the rest of your code (AI, UI, gameplay elements) and then go back to the graphics - depending on the frame rate you want and the frame rate you get you can add or remove detail to your basic models (and increase the variety of models) and increase / decrease the number of models displayed at once to suit your code.

Hope that helps, Jon.
Jon.
well for one..if you''ve never done one before..don''t bite off more than you can chew...try one city block. that''s what I did in college, it was a more work than I imagined. Plus you can''t export like someone else said from maya ple. The thing about gta vc is they are doing a lot of LODing and streaming from disk. I believe they used 3d studio max..but maya would be capable too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement