What should I code??

Started by
12 comments, last by Sand_Hawk 21 years, 5 months ago
Check this out..
http://213.180.75.67/mud/
It''s the framework for a multiplayer(supports max 300 simultaneous clients, but tht can be increased without much overhead(+4 bytes/client when the slot isnt used)) textbased game. Check it out, build on it. I''d love to see someone use my code for something.

Eric
Advertisement
For now, I think I stick with my Linked List class. I wrote a single linked list class for college. I think I convert it to double linked(If I can manage that, otherwise I just rewrite it) and overload the operators ++, --, =, [], +, -. After this I will write a Queue and a Stack. These can easily derived from the linked list class. I will shove em in the profiler and optimize them.

About the MUD engine, I would love to write a MUD, but I want to write one from scratch, not with a pre-written framework. I will probably reinvent the wheel, but it is a great learning experience for me.

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Ywah, bout the mud, thats exactly why i created it. I wanted to do something of my own. But this code is still so small that it can be easily edited to whatever you want. If you want some good help, go to #gamedev and find voxel, ask him about it cNetTCP class. It''s the only part that i stole(for the mud)(used that i didnt create)...

Eric
You could start with a MUD where you can simply walk from room to room and get descriptions. Each room would have a linked list of links to other rooms. The rooms form nodes in a graph which is sort of like a linked list. Well, actually I think a linked list is a graph. You could do a simple editor where you can display the text for the current room and a list box listing the links to other rooms.

Once you have a set of rooms with general descriptions you can expand upon it by breaking a room into subareas. So basically a room has a linked list of child areas. Each subarea would have a keyword and saying "examine keyword" gets you the description of the subarea. An example of a keyword might be chest. Then you might have "look in chest" to see the subareas of the chest. Those subareas would be actual items which can be moved into inventory with something like "get key from chest". Then "use key on door" would attempt to find an item named key in the inventory and use it on an object named door. Basically a bunch of fun and games with linked lists.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement