• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xg0blin

properties of quaternions

This topic is 5860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to learn quaternions rather than just relying on euler angles. Here''s my problem. I''ve been to several websites concerning quaternions, and there are some properties I don''t get, and make no sense (I must not be looking at it right, or the pages I''m reading aren''t explaining everything). I read some here, and about 20 pages worth of google search links. Here''s the deal. I understand imaginary numbers (we covered them in a college trig class a coupla years ago). pretty simple. i=sqrt(-1). ok, so quaternions have one real part and three imaginary parts. Here''s where the problem comes in. I read the property:

i^2=j^2=k^2=-1.

according to this, i=j=k=sqrt(-1) (unless I''m missing something). But then there is the property that:

i*j*k=-1

shouldn''t that be -i???? and then lastly, this property makes no sense to me either.

i * j = k

There are several of them that take this form, but umm...if i = j = sqrt(-1), then isn''t this basically i^2? which should be -1? What am I missing here?

Advertisement
I did a paper on these last year and I still didn't totally understand them, but think of i, j, and k as orthonormal vectors. And the multiplication used as a cross product.

i*j*k = (i*j) * k = k *k = -1

when he says i * j = k, like I said think of it as a cross product.

I may be innacurate about this stuff, but hopefully that clears it up a little

- Andrew

one more thing, you saying i = j = k = sqrt(-1) is incorrect. I remember when I was reading what Hamiltion said, he said that you can't establish a linear relationship between the three imaginary components, since they're in different directions in imaginary space (or something like that).

[edited by - atcdevil on November 3, 2002 9:33:09 PM]

Thanks andrew..but here another thing then, if you explanation is indeed the correct one. If you think of it as a cross-product (I am familiar with the properties of the cross product as well) then

i x j = k, j x i = -k
j x k = i, k x j = -i
k x i = j, i x k = -j

okay the properties look the same BUT what are you crossing? Looking at i, j, and k as vectors of the form:

i = sqrt(-1)i + 0j + 0k

j = 0i + sqrt(-1)j + 0k

k = 0i + 0j + sqrt(-1)k

but if you cross i x j, you get -k, so again...where am i going wrong here...and I don''t understand then if i=j=k=sqrt(-1), then how can you use them as vectors?

You''re right that

i == sqrt( -1 )
j == sqrt( -1 )
k == sqrt( -1 )

but, note that

i != j
j != k
k != i

so i = j = k = sqrt( -1 ) is FALSE.

however, i*i = j*j = k*k.

It''s true that the cross product is similar to quat product, but with 3d vectors you have proper divisors of zero, i.e.

vectors a,b can have a X b = 0 even although a != 0 and b != 0. ( a and b are collinear).

The quat product rectifies this, i.e. a * b = 0 => a = 0 or b = 0, making it a much "nicer" mathematical object to study (apart from the non-commutativity).

Note that if quats were commutative, they would form a field (like what the complex numbers do) and could be used to form a vector space, a well studied phenomena. But they don''t commute. However, every non-zero quat has a quat inverse.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

One way to look at this is via a multiplication table

x | 1 i j k
-----------
1 | 1 i j k
i | i -1 -k j
j | j k -1 -i
k | k -j i -1

Where the product is of the column heading x the row heading in that order.

This describes all the possible products of real numbers and the three imaginaries i, j and k. As well as this you also have normal addition and multiplication, e.g.

2 * i = i + i = 2i

k - k - k - k - k = -3k = -3 * k

All other rules can be derived from this, e.g.

ijk = (ij) * k = k * k = -1

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you want a decent understanding, and actually the only correct one, look into geometric algebra. Quaternions have _nothing_ to do with imaginary number of 4 dimensional hyperspheres. Instead, a quaternion is a combination of a scalar and a concept known as a bivector which represents the dual of the rotation axis.

Great sources can be found on the following links:

http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/clifford/index.html
http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/

And I suggest you start with the following two papers:

http://www.science.uva.nl/~leo/clifford/dorst-mann-I.pdf
http://www.science.uva.nl/~leo/clifford/dorst-mann-II.pdf

Email me at J.Suter@student.utwente.nl if you have any questions, or alternatively check out http://jaap.flipcode.com/ga/

Cheers,

Jaap Suter

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!