Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green

Combining Bitmaps in memory, then creating texture. Possible?

Hi all, Before DirectX... I could set up a large bitmap in memory. I would then BitBlt smaller bitmaps onto this DC. Then I would blit the large bitmap to the screen (form, whatever...) Now in DirectX... Are we talking about texture blending? Ive tried using different panels and transarency (all my small panels placed on top of my large panel) , But the result is never right, especially when resizing window or changing display modes. BitBlt worked so well, I always had a good image ( no distortion or antialiasing). Is it posible to create my big bitmap in memory like before and then quickly apply it to a texture? Is this when one would use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemory? Any ideas are appreciated! [edited by - Green on November 3, 2002 9:27:30 PM]

You should be able to do this in DirectX by creating a renderable texture (by passing the D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET value into the IDirect3DDevice8::CreateTexture() method). Then you can render your small bitmaps into that texture and finally render that texture into your back buffer.

You can add/subtract/mutiply/divide textures together for different effects.

Just do a search on Multi-texturing.

Great reference book on this: Focus on: 2D in Direct3D.

Good luck.

Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.