please download and view my presentation

Started by
11 comments, last by Shadow1234567890 21 years, 5 months ago
I would like you people to view my presentation, send me questions, comments, constructive criticisms or credit card numbers. It is about 7.58MB. I wrote it with OpenGL but it is not a game, it is more along the lines of a screen saver, that is why I posted it here in the general discussions forum. http://vc.flashstyle.org/carlos/Skills%20Night.zip EDIT1: oh and make sure ur sound is on The song is bioluminescense (sp?) by one of my favorite bands called Silvercord EDIT2: I renamed the file and the link, I tried it myself so I know it works. If you still get 404ed try again later. Sorry for the inconveniences. www.mp3.com/silvercord [edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 4, 2002 2:34:55 PM]
What do you mean ''Someday become a programmer?'' I'm a programmer right now!
Advertisement
The link does not work, sorry
if thats copyrighted music then technically you''re infringing the law if you''re distributing it, and i dont think gamedev likes the whole ''linking to illegal shit'' thing. Not trying to be nasty or anything, but just a thought....
Oh yea, how about trying to make it smaller(a.k.a. DITCH the song, and allow us to select one of our own, for the poor 56k''ers like me)? Id love to try it, but its just too big to merit just a test....
*st0ned*
quote:
and i dont think gamedev likes the whole 'linking to illegal shit' thing.

You aren't sure if they like illegal linking, but I know they don't care for swearing and cussing.

The song is free
www.mp3.com/silvercord

Ditching the song is not a question. I cannot allow you people to chose your own song because that is the only song that fits the desired mood of the project.

I am trying to fix the 3.0mb bitmap in there, but for some reason when I make it a smaller size (I can make it be smaller than 64KB) it does not work.

[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 5, 2002 5:51:05 PM]
quote:Original post by Shadow1234567890
You aren't sure if they like illegal linking, but I know they don't care for swearing and cussing.

The song is free
www.mp3.com/silvercord

Ditching the song is not a question. I cannot allow you people to chose your own song because that is the only song that fits the desired mood of the project.

I am trying to fix the 3.0mb bitmap in there, but for some reason when I make it a smaller size (I can make it be smaller than 64KB) it does not work.
[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 5, 2002 5:51:05 PM]

OK, calm down. I already said i didn't want to offend you, and i was only giving a few pointers(that i thought were relevant). Plus, it depends on the context whether i was swearing or cussing(which i was doing neither of, it 'fitted' the mood of the sentance).I thought bitmaps zip compressed quite well anyway....

[edited by - Hairybudda on November 6, 2002 9:33:36 AM]
*st0ned*
The song is free
www.mp3.com/silvercord

Please understand that there are various levels of free. In this case the free comes with a clause as clearly expressed on the site you linked to:
quote:
You may download this material and make reasonable number of copies of this material only for your own personal use. You may not otherwise reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, or create derivative works of this material, unless authorized by the appropriate copyright owner(s).

So, have you contacted them personally to ask for permission to use their work?

And yes, it is a fact that we don''t like (or allow, as clear stated in the FAQ) "illegal linking", or any other usage of our forums to break laws, including copyright laws. So please either fix the file or do the right thing and contact the muscians that made the music to get permission.
Okay I am getting permission. How do I prove that I actually have permission once I get it?

EDIT:
Sorry for the inconveniences. I honestly thought the material on mp3.com was free. I haven't actually visited that site in a long time, I downloaded their songs quite some time ago, and because they were posted on the net I figured they were free for distribution. I am waiting for a response from the Artists

[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on November 6, 2002 11:35:36 AM]
Okay I am getting permission. How do I prove that I actually have permission once I get it?

No need to "prove it" (though you''ll likely want to include a "used with permission" in your file), I''m pretty confident that they''ll say yes. We trust you (and if anyone actually wants to "challenge" your claim they can simply contact the artist).
All right that sounds good. Should I incorporate some kind of ''credits'' screen into my presentation, or do I just need a text file, or both? (I don''t know how to do fonts yet with opengl).

All right that sounds good. Should I incorporate some kind of ''credits'' screen into my presentation, or do I just need a text file, or both? (I don''t know how to do fonts yet with opengl).

The quickest solution would to just add it to your readme file, something like "Music is [song title] by [artist]. Copyright [year], used with permission"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement