CVS

Started by
12 comments, last by TetsuoAkira22 21 years, 5 months ago
Me and a friend have been TRYING to setup CVS for the past few weeks, but we can''t even get the @#%*ing commands to get the server running! Anyone out here have an EASIER way for an international team of 20 to all work on one engine at once? Please help me before I go insane (I''m already a TAD insane after trying to figure this out.)
---Looking for a new gaming experience? Want something new that deals with everyday life. Ever wanted to be a thief, banker or a cop? Then come visit the newest thing in gaming today: Lejendz!
Other hosts turn you down? Need good tech support, excellent up time, and affordable prices? Come to cheapunixhosting.com/ to find a package right for YOU!
Advertisement
we got the NT version running after some time, but indeed it does take some patience.. (and watch out for those enviroment variables!)

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
We have the windows/nt version too, think you can help us with intstalling it?
---Looking for a new gaming experience? Want something new that deals with everyday life. Ever wanted to be a thief, banker or a cop? Then come visit the newest thing in gaming today: Lejendz!
Other hosts turn you down? Need good tech support, excellent up time, and affordable prices? Come to cheapunixhosting.com/ to find a package right for YOU!
Might be a better idea if you explained exactly what the problem is. General ranting about "it doesn''t work" isn''t helpful to anyone.
State clearly:
o What you did.
o What happened when you did it.
o What you expected to happen.

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Also, have you read these? http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html and http://devguy.com/cvsnt
Beware that some of the stuff might be a bit out of date.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
All we have been able to do/figure out so far, is just the --help and extracting folders... We haven''t found any real documentation for it out there yet.
Err?

The CVS for NT server comes with an installer. Are you sure you downloaded CVSNT[1]? If you want to install a CVS server on Windows, you need that one - the regular Win32 cvs distribution doesn''t cut it since it only contains the client tools.

Read those faqs and guides I pointed you to too.

[1]www.cvsnt.org

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
I get cvs running, but it does not add repositorys and it gives init errors. But I cannot view the logs to them. I also cannot add user names, I get Initialization errors also.

After this.. I hate cvs..

You would think they would make it easy.
You might try posting some of the errors you get.
*Before this post generates flames, I''d like to mention that everything below is my opinion and may not be true*

Forget CVS. I''ve tried to install and use it on several occasions and in my opinion it is complete and utter garbage. It is hard to set up, hard to use, hard to maintain and in my opinion it does a very poor job at source control.

We use FreeVCS. The software was written for Delphi but can be used for anything else. I use it with 2 other members on a .NET project and we store everything in it including C# files, html files, documents, images, database scripts etc. The software is free, and in my opinion is superior to CVS in every way possible. It is significantly easier to install, it''s easier to use, it''s more intuitive and it does a much better job managing your files. Try it, you won''t be disappointed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement