Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony52

Level Designers vs. Programmers.

i think the programmer will win the fight because he has the ability to perfrom those super moves dealing super damage!

KO! You Win! Perfect!

Time 8900
Life 30000
Total 38900

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."

Yes maybe so. But for Carmack you cannot say so, I think, that he earn more mony then anybody in ID sowtware. It is true that programrs have more difficult job to do, but it is what it is.

Game cannot be developed without programers or without designers. Both are bloddy needed for game.

They are two completely different areas.

Programmers - excels at logical thinking, efficiency, etc. Usually little artistic creativity and/or artistic skill. Hence the term "programmer art." We build the engine, they do the rest.

Designers - very creative and artistic. Good at story writing, graphics, and balance. Takes creativity to pull off, but they usually don''t have much logical/math skill.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
[quote]Original post by Anonymous Poster
Who''d win in a fight?

ROTFL

Sometimes clients ask, for example before a website project, how much will a website cost me. I''ll answer: about as much as a car.
Same principle

quote:
Original post by Neosmyle
They are two completely different areas.

Programmers - excels at logical thinking, efficiency, etc. Usually little artistic creativity and/or artistic skill. Hence the term "programmer art." We build the engine, they do the rest.

Designers - very creative and artistic. Good at story writing, graphics, and balance. Takes creativity to pull off, but they usually don''t have much logical/math skill.

Guest Anonymous Poster
anyone notice that he was talking Level designers not even game designers.

Sounds like someone has fallen for the line, "do a mod and you''ll be hired by ID".

To reiterate, regardless of a level designer''s god-like skills, without an engine to work with they''re nothing and their talents are simply wasted. ;P

Even the fastest, most impressive-looking car won''t do squat in a race without gas.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by aggregate
Level designers put a lot of sweat into the product as well. Looking at the DOOM III levels, I can guarantee the Lead Level Designer Tim Willits had his hands just as full as Carmack.

Spoken like someone who has never developed a game in their life.

Level Designer is the wrong word.Game designer I mean.Which brings me back to my question:Knowing how to manipulate the engine with a scripting language gives you an edge in finding work?In the end is a scripting language preferable than C,C++ etc.?
Would you use C as a scripting language?
By the way what requirements must a tools programmer have?
Off topic:With C can you build GUI applications?

[edited by - Antony52 on November 5, 2002 2:06:49 PM]

quote:

In the end is a scripting language preferable than C,C++ etc.?

They are two different worlds and should not be mixed or compared.

quote:

Would you use C as a scripting language?

Perhaps, depends on the programmers who make the scripting language.

quote:

By the way what requirements must a tools programmer have?

Fluent in the language the company is using.

quote:

With C can you build GUI applications?

Yes (read: Win32 API).

Again, scripting languages are used to modify the engine. The engine is created by programmers. Scripting languages are also created by programmers. The purpose of scripting languages is to allow game designer to modify the game without having to tell programmers what they want to do. Like these (a Monopoly game):

GD = Game Designer. P = Programmer

(without scripting language)
GD: "Hm...I think this corner should be ''Prison'', that one should be ''Bank."
P: "OK, let''s see..where''s that line..ah here it is. tile[0] = TILE_BANK; tile[9] = TILE_PRISON; Ok, what else?"
GD: "Hm...could you make that color to green?"
P: "OK." (make some changes on the code, recompile

as you see, it''s very tedious. They both have to stay in contact for the rest of the development process. In large scale projects, where programmers,designers, and musicians rarely meet, this is very inefficient. With the aid of scripting languages (that programmers make), game designers can modify the game in any way they like, in any time they want without the programmers presence.

I hope you get the point.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."

quote:
Original post by nick316
If you can program you might as well design the game.
It can't really be that hard to design a good game.
That way you get all the credit.

ROOFLE!!

[edited by - elis-cool on November 5, 2002 8:29:36 PM]

quote:
Original post by RuneLancer
Even the fastest, most impressive-looking car won''t do squat in a race without gas.
And even the best, most impressive-looking gas won''t do squat in a race without a car.

quote:
Original post by ReaperX
In my case the edge goes to the level designer because he''s mastered the chokeslam and i only know the evenflow ddt.

Yeah but the evenflow ddt / the raven effect is what I do best

What about me? What about Raven?