Level Designers vs. Programmers.

Started by
30 comments, last by Antony52 21 years, 5 months ago
This is bullshit, you people are talking on the basis of your own opinions, not facts. It is possible for a "Human" to be creative at the same time of being logical, smart. No one can define levels of creativity on a large scale. Cut the bull people. You might write 5+ paragraphs but it doesn''t make an opinion more vaild.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
This is bullshit, you people are talking on the basis of your own opinions, not facts. It is possible for a "Human" to be creative at the same time of being logical, smart. No one can define levels of creativity on a large scale. Cut the bull people. You might write 5+ paragraphs but it doesn''t make an opinion more vaild.

Ah, but people can generalize, and generalization is often based on real facts, such as tendencies and most common outcomes.

But nevertheless, a programmer is a programmer and a level designer is a level designer. An individual that can understand C++ (or COBOL, which I''ve heard from my drunk COBOL teacher is still widely used, but which I refuse to accept given the horrors of such a language) but happens to be the company''s janitor might be able to assist the company''s programmers but in the end, remains a janitor.

So yeah, a programmer can design levels just as much as a level designer can code an engine. But the question here is if we generalize both of them (programmer -> person who writes game code; level designer -> person who designs levels; nothing else), which would be better?

I''m still two paragraphs short of a 5+ paragraph of invalid opinions, so I''ll state my point of view: without a programmer, a game will either have to use a precoded engine or won''t have an engine to run with. Without a level designer, the game''ll be forced to either use crappy unprofessional levels or to not have any levels to run with. What''s my opinion? That I need a lot of coffee right now or to try and sleep a bit, since either way my opinion probably won''t make too much sense. So there.

And thus, I reach the 5th paragraph, making my post an invalid opinion . You can expose a subjective opinion in a debate, or simply shoot down the aforementioned opinions without providing anything to the debate. Neither way gets you anywhere.

Ranting is fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement