The best scripting language.

Started by
6 comments, last by Stranger 21 years, 5 months ago
Which scripting language is the best?Which one is used in the gaming industry a lot?
Advertisement
Use C++ with either DirectX or OpenGL.

---------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
He asked about scripting language. C and C++ hardly qualifies.

As for "best" - there is no such thing. Find something that matches your specific needs. Since you didnt state what those needs are, this is the only advice I can give.

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I meant which scripting language is used more often for 3d games?Which is very powerful and can give equal treatment in a game team like the programmer has.
The key to a good scripting language is not the language itself, but how effectively you''ve embedded it in your application.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Well, if you are talking of adding a scripting language to a program you are writing yourself, then the easiest to use is probably Guile, which was designed as a drop-in scripting tool. However, whether it is appropriate for your game or not depends on factors that go far beyond the language itself.

Most games, if they have a scripting language at all (few do), have one that is unique to the game. I don''t know of any common scripting tool used by more than one game, offhand, but then again, I''ve never really looked into the matter.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the Scholar among his books
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the Scholar among his books
A few to look at:
Python
Lua
Ruby
Guile

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Others are:

Tcl
Java (can be used as one)
Python (same)
Perl (same)
Sup guys?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement