Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steve_-

My interpretation of Thatcher Ulrich's CLOD algorithm

Hi, After reading docs && looking at code I started to write my own algorithm. See for your self... here you can find the code: http://www.geocities.com/stevenlooman/CLODtest.ZIP Look at the code for the controls, etc. I''ve left out the core''s written by Jim Adams, since I don''t know if it is legal to put them on the net, but the executable it within the zipfile. Please, give comments, any comment will do (with good arguments, ofcourse). Oh, I''ve left our the frustum checking, since it is not working fully (well, actually it is working, I''m not working ). Steve_- PS. YES, this is a cross-post, sorry about that. But it involves two subjects...

Updating the entire tree every frame is, as the program shows, very costly. You may just want to isolate the point of change, and update everything from that point on. That should provide a very nice speed-up.

Next on the list, the color scheme really bugs me, and mouse control is really needed.

Other than that, it looks like a rather solid implementation, you may want to increase the overall coarseness of the mesh, but, other than that it''s fine.

Also, Thatcher has a new CLOD demo out, which implements a chunk-based CLOD algorithm that uses a quadtree to manage the chunks. This implementation allows for almost insane amounts of detail at a rather unexpectedly fast speed. You may wanna check it out.

Trent Polack
Burnt Fur Entertainment
trent@codershq.com

Normally, I''m doing frustum checking when I update, but I disabled it because it didn''t work correctly (it is probably easy to fix, but I''m focussing on other things right now), so that I''m only updating what I see.

And about the colors/mouse control.. I know, it''s just a quick implementation of what I have in my mind (well, not all of it).

About the detail of the map.. another thing, see abouve.

Jup, I did see the CLOD, and I can only say.. whoo!!! nice speed, and what huge maps! And I did look at it, but I wanted to make a simple basic rendering algorithm first...