Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maymer75

ScreenSpace Vertices In Shaders

I would like to be able to send vertices defined in screen-space thru a custom vertex shader. The fixed function pipeline offers the D3DFVF_XYZRHW flag for using screen-space verts, but is there any way to do this using the programmable pipeline? I am using DirectX 8 on the PC by the way (I know XBox lets you do this but I need it to work on the PC).

Yes, just move the untranformed vert into oPos.

shader declaration should look like this:

{
D3DVSD_STREAM(0),
D3DVSD_REG(0,D3DVSDT_FLOAT3),
D3DVSD_END()
};

and vertex shader like this

vs.1.1
mov oPos.x,v0

Mike

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frederick Bastiat, The Law

But usually the output for the oPos register is the coordinate in clip-space ([-1..+1] range for (x,y) and [0..1] for z) isn''t it? I thought it works such that after the vertex shader runs the value you write to the oPos register is scaled into the current viewport, is there something special one can do to disable it from scaling to the viewport? Or perhaps I am not understanding how it works correctly?

Thanks.

Well, if that doesn''t work, just set an orthographic matrix.

Mike

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frederick Bastiat, The Law