help making rpg game

Started by
9 comments, last by pro547 21 years, 5 months ago
I need some help on making a rpg game... I know some opengl but that won''t help making a 2d rpg will it? I really don''t know where to start. i''m going to be using c. Where do you start in programming rpg? thx silas
Advertisement
I wouldn''t know where to start seeing as I don''t even know windows programming yet but you may want to pick up the book Roleplaying Games in Direct X or something like that by Premier Press Game Development. Just type Premier Press in google and do a little digging you''ll find it. I know you can buy it on Amazon.
yes, you can use opengl to make a 2d game, each "sprite" would be a quad with a texture, and you''d have to use the orthagonal projection (is that the right word? i''m not looking it up right now)... check out the tutorials on nehe.gamedev.net, there is a tutorial about setting up OGL for a 2d game.

as far as where to start programming an RPG, it depends on your design. you should really work out each and every detail and write it down before you start coding; otherwise you will get lost in your own mess long before you have anything done.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Start by using text. Really.

Either descriptive or go roguelike (roguelike will probably be better if you intend to go 2d-graphical later). Start hammering out whatever systems you need (combat, conversational, simulation, whatever is the focus of your game). Get that stuff ironed out (hah!) then retrofit a GUI and graphical tiles over the RPG engine you''ve done. Pow.

Or, maybe you''ll grow fond of what you''ve done, and end up with a long term roguelike ala nethack, moria, etc.

For Mother GameDev!
Ok thx for helping me!
I have 1 more question. What is they eastest way to make a 2d game? I would think opengl is not going to be the eastest way.
OpenGL can do 2D stuff fine so if your good at openGL then use it.
well the easyest is olso the most sisi way of getting out. Fisrt here are the two engine that you can use: LibCon or SDL. SDL More Consider because the project is still live and update. But libcon Still have it''s good point. But i really consider to continu learning opengl or event start directx. And I have a great book for you if oyu do soo. Window Game Progamming for dummy. Its got all to start making your first game or rpg

Kevin
Kevin
Yea I''m going to get the book... I''m still going to do it in opengl now that i know it some what... I never want to go to directx b/c I have a linux mac and windows machine so i''m going to try and port the game to mac when i get done with it. Is there any good tutorials on making a simple rpg? not the text kind.

thx silas
If your gonna start with text play a few MUDs (www.mudconnect.com) and try and build one. After your done you''ll have the basics for a 2d rpg and some network code to eventually bring it online. That''s just my theory anyway, I haven''t tried it myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement