A new era

Started by
3 comments, last by Megatron007 21 years, 5 months ago
Can You Imagine? Could you imagine an information system that you could interact with in a virtual fashion? I mean, a pure virtual enviroment to do anything an operating system provides. A virtual o/s. If you could some how mask the o/s''s graphical interface the structure is already there. You could inheirit from base classes and overide display functions while maintaining all msg handling capabilities. Like im certainly sure your going to have to do things within the enviroment such as save data, create new data, click buttons (in whatever shape or form they might be in) and even open windows in the virtual environment- Like some kind of floating plasma television ha ha. Although polymorphismic(is that a word?) changes would difficult, impossible maybe, i don''t know. But think of the possibilities: People could navigate their own customized domain in search of data. Folders could be rooms eg.games room where all the game executables are. And icons are a whole different story. They could be represented by any thing you cold imagine. They could have activation animation or something (folders opening sound effect- Pzzzzzzcht chik chik) depending on your particular custom enviroment or what you could even call a theme. You could have an avatar.... yeah an avatar that essentially acts like your mouse pointer ..maneuvering about accessing data like music, video, exe''s etc... . At the same time your friends can visit and navigate your virtual o/s as well you to thiers (wow) the internet capabilities alone! Now im not saying turn the whole internet into a huge MMORPG, it goes so much deeper than that like even info systems virtual search engines, virtual databases, providing the most user-freindly interface ever. With the types of RAD (rapid app dev) rendering software out now and the class management offered by programming tools like alot of todays high tech compilers and development studios I believe things of this nature are possible. So anyone up to the challange...just joking hah. I was just kickin around some ideas and was wondering if anyone else has ambitions/visions of a virtual o/s or network, being now thats its possible to do? I am just a dude trying to use programming to turn my knowlege of physics into something spectacular
Advertisement
Well, until VR comes into common usage, theres 3D desktops, which i think is the best we''ll bet for a while...

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Honestly nothing would actualy change...the core is still there...but with GUI needing a even larger demand on the CPU/accelerator cards.

Is it really a lot of fun to poke around your PC useing Windows Explorer? Even with the most dazzeling photo real virtual desktop...at some point user would become so used to it that it becomes dull and boreing...sure, users possably could download tons of different icons, virtual rooms, and whatnot...but where do they go when even this becomes dull?

Once such a OS is designed...how do you "top" it, once people become bored with it?...and they most certainly will become bored with it!

I remember the leap computers made from command line OS systems to GUI ones...people couldn''t wait to mess around on a Mac or Windows basied PC...there is so much "cool" stuff that such GUI can do...even allowing users to personnalise thier desktops...wich is great at first...but after a while, it just becomes pointless to most people, as they realise that they use a PC for applications, not playing around with the OS...at which point many people start getting discusted with the OS in how slow and cumbersome it becomes (haveing to wait for it to animate some window graphic...or haveing to walk from one end of thier virtual PC to another...just to load up and run some app).... the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...right now we have GUI OS that would have flat out floored people decades ago...yet we are still unsatisfied, and want to reach for something else...sure once we get there, it will be cool for a while, but like modern GUI stuff, it will grow stale...and before we know it, we will be reaching for the next cool thing...only at some point, we would have exausted the posabilities...and must deal with being satisfied with what we have...

I agree with the fact some of your thoughts MSW such as;

>is great at first...but after a while, it just becomes pointless to most people, as they realise that they use a PC for applications,

Yes maybe, but why stop at an o/s, when apps could be virtual especialy when they are being developed with the modified or newly made foundation of classes. And then when technology changes, then what? People want somthing new and thats the key right there you always design with that in mind making the foundation as inheritable and polymorphistic as possible thus dealing with the ever changing market trends induced by technological advancement.

>the core is still there...but with GUI needing a even larger demand on the CPU/accelerator cards.

Again true. But something of this nature would take years to develop. One would suspect that all hardware/data transfer/cpu solutions would most certainly be available.

>Once such a OS is designed...how do you "top" it, once people become bored with it?...and they most certainly will become bored with it!

You see, MSW, I have taken a good look at the gaming world and frankly I like what i see! Ive seen games get more sophisticated and yet the user interface get more simple. Ive seen the effect multiplayer functionality has on the over all enjoyment of alot of games.
The thing is, MSW, when I think of this I think of way more than anything in the gaming world. I see people meeting for business meetings, people sharing the information on their computers on a one on one basis, groups of people just hanging out at one persons domain/virtual customized o/s enviroment listening to music or what ever, being able to carry information with you as you traverse what has become an internet world rather than all pictures and letters and numbers. Maybe the development of some nice virtual search engine enviroments would spur things along.
The point is, sure some of the elements could be "game like" but that is only skin deep.

I apreciate the replies and look forward to other views on this subject as well!
whoops

[edited by - megatron007 on November 5, 2002 7:21:04 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement