Memory Question

Started by
1 comment, last by the_grip 21 years, 5 months ago
Just when i think i've got it all down... doh! Here's the deal - i have a DWORD buffer in a class that i assign values to. However, i get all kinds of problems in the destructor when it goes to delete the buffer. Example:

//this is in the class
DWORD *m_pwObjectIndices; //member variable for the class in the header
m_pwObjectIndices = new DWORD[36]; //i know the size necessary

for(DWORD nIndex = 0; nIndex < 36; nIndex+=3)
{
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex]		= nIndex;
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex+1]	= nIndex+1;
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex+2]	= nIndex+2;
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex+3]	= nIndex;
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex+4]	= nIndex+2;
     m_pwObjectIndices[nIndex+5]	= nIndex+3;
}

i understand that what is probably going on is that local variables are assigned to the DWORD buffer, then they are no longer valid after leaving the function. However, i've tried memcpy and some other things, and i still get problems. Weird thing is i don't get memory leaks when i don't delete the buffer. Any help out there? Thanks!!! "You call him Dr. Grip, doll!" [edited by - the_grip on November 5, 2002 3:42:21 AM]
"You call him Dr. Grip, doll!"
Advertisement
Are you sure they''re leaks and not "damage after normal block"? You''re overrunning the array and writing after your 36 elements.

The for loop will step up to 33, and you''ll write to the 33+5 = 38th element, which is outside the array.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
i can''t believe i didn''t see that - thank you for the help.

2 am sometimes blurs the mind a bit.
"You call him Dr. Grip, doll!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement