• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

granat

Has anyone tried FMOD ? I´m having problems with it.

This topic is 6942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before I added FMod to my game (in progress) it ran at 85 fps at 85hz... Then I used Fmod to play Mp3 and now the framerate is 73-81 which is still pretty good. But even though the framerate is so high the animation is not smooth....Why not.... If I use FMod to stream wavs then the animation is smooth and the framerate is 85. Oh it makes me mad....maaad....MAAAAAD!!!!!!!! -- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --

Advertisement
Well, decoding MP3s during gameplay is quite a CPU-intensive task! I''m guessing that every so often, it processes enough of the mp3 to fill some internal buffer, and then sits idle until that buffer is running low. Whereas of course, streaming wavs requires no special decompression and will hardly affect your game speed, so it can fill that buffer in no time.

You can decompress your mp3-music entirely in memory. Yes, 3 minutes of music takes 30 megs of memory as a raw data. But average memory is about 128 megs these days so who cares about the 30 megs?

quote:
Original post by Hans

But average memory is about 128 megs these days so who cares about the 30 megs?

I''d dispute this claim. The average new PC is sold with 128 megs, yes. But the average user does not have a PC bought this month, or this year even. I''d say 64mb is about as much as you can ''expect'' and 48mb is a more reasonable estimate if you want a ''mainstream'' market.

Requirement will be 64 mb.
So no decompressing mp3 in memory. Besides I could just use wavs then. 650 mb on a cd should be sufficient to store som big wavs.

I know processing mp3´s are cpu-intensive, but the framerate is above 73 !!!!!

Does anybody know any mp3-player-api´s other than FMod..?

You oould try chopping the mp3 into mini wavs on runtime and then play those streaming.

I think your 73 framerate but still not smooth animation was explained by Kylotan.

And, I know this sounds stupid, but do you have the newest version? [maybe if you email the maker the bug, he''ll have it fixed! y''never know].

Yes I downloaded it just the other day....

Well I guess maybe I should ask the creater about it..

Thanks for your help guys...!!

quote:
Original post by granat

Besides I could just use wavs then. 650 mb on a cd should be sufficient to store som big wavs.

Mp3's don't take much disk space (fast to download also), that's the benefit of using them and decompressing them on memory.

If you're going to distribute your game on CD, why don't you use CD audio just like everyone else?

And 30 megs of memory is quite a bit, but how about decompressing your mp3's as swap files to disk. Everybody has 30 megs of free hard disc space! Then you could stream them very fast and it wouldn't take any memory. And you would delete those swap files after using them. (is this what Queasy meant?)

Edited by - hans on 4/23/00 4:09:56 AM

"If you're going to distribute your game on CD, why don't you use CD audio just like everyone else? "

Maybe I will.
Is cd-audio faster than streaming wavs yourself ?
CD-audio does not use CPU does it ? It goes directly into the sound card from the cd-drive right?

I want to add at least 12 pieces of music at 2-3 minutes each in my game.

How do you play cd-audio...Can this be done in direct sound or do I need some win32 functionality ?

Edited by - granat on 4/23/00 5:43:58 AM

You can use FMOD to play CD-Audio, too.
(B.t.w: In my opinion FMOD is still the best and fastest library to decompress MP3s)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!