API's and Math.

Started by
7 comments, last by Stranger 21 years, 5 months ago
If you use C or C++ in conjuction with DirectX or OpenGL can you build 3D engines and 3d in general without advanced knowledge of math just the basics?The api''s provide the math ready?You only have to now the language and the api?
Advertisement
Sorry, you''ll need quite a lot of math knowledge to make a good 3D-engine. I''d recommend learning linear algebra.

-----------------------------
Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?
Sheriff: Yeah, they''re dead. They''re all messed up.
-Night of the living dead
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
C and C++ do not provide the math. They provide math functions but not the math.

What you''ll need (math-wise) is: Algebra, Basic Level Physics (velocity, acceleration, dot and cross product...), Trigonometry, and Linear Algebra (because of matrices).

Hope that helped.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

If I am not mistaken the two famous api''s,DX and OGL,gives you the opppurtunity to build the engine since they have the math already implemented for you.Isnt that right?
By the way I do know linear algebra,physics and the rest but I just want to know whether the above is correct.
quote:Original post by Stranger
If I am not mistaken the two famous api''s,DX and OGL,gives you the opppurtunity to build the engine since they have the math already implemented for you.Isnt that right?

what do you mean by "implemented"? they have functions have manipulate or mirror (mathematical) data and/or functions. but thats about it.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

quote:Original post by Stranger
By the way I do know linear algebra,physics and the rest but I just want to know whether the above is correct.

Well, of course some math is implemented, like perspective-calculations, just to take an example. And directX has some matrix functions and stuff like that, but you''ll need more than that. I mean, let''s say you want to use a BSP-tree. Then you''ll have to think at least a bit for yourself...

-----------------------------
Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?
Sheriff: Yeah, they''re dead. They''re all messed up.
-Night of the living dead
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
If i''m understanding you right, then yes, it can be done.
You could build a 3D engine in which you transform all your vertices via glRotatef, glTranslatef etc. functions.

However, to build something fast and versatile you really need to have at least your own vector and matrix classes.

Also for a game you need collision detection and other stuff, and this just doesn''t work without math knowledge.

hope that helps

Runicsoft -- home of my open source Function Parser and more
OpenGL and DirectX use math themselves for the task of drawing, however that is different from the engine which must tell the Graphics API what to draw based on massive amounts of data. The game engine also controls everything that happens in the game like doing stuff with the input, controlling computer characters and other tasks that don''t have to do with drawing. The engine for a 3d game will nees lots of 3d math running all that stuff which the graphics API dosn''t do for you.
- Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
Unless of course you use a ready made engine like Quake.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement