Best Design Patterns book?

Started by
6 comments, last by lowlevel 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi. I''m going to buy a book on designpatterns but I''m not sure which one to choose. I''ve looked on Amazon for the most popular books on the subject: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-3664921-5434213 Design Patterns -- by Erich Gamma. is no1 on that list but is it the best?
Advertisement
That''s generally THE book on design patterns. Buy it and you won''t be disappointed. (gosh I sound like a salesman)

cin >> Boost >> GOTW tips >> GOTW articles >> CUJ expert columns >> FAQ lite;
Ok, thanks for the answer. There was one thing I didn''t mention though

I''m buying this book for work and I know that we already have one copy of it. Just that the guy that has it doesn''t seem to want to let it go

I asked if I could borrow it and he started talking about resources on the net he thought I should check out =)

Should I still buy another copy or is there another book that could complement this?
"Pattern Hatching" is a complimentary book.
Perhaps if you bought that, you could barter with your coworker (assuming he''s interested in reading it).
"Modern C++" also compliments DP.

You should probably know something about patterns before picking up either of those books though.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''ve checked a copy of this out of our local library and read it. There''s a really good reason your coworker won''t let go of it - It''s extremely good.
Thanks for your answers!

When I checked my inbox(not e-mail inbox) this morning I noticed a book in his box, "modern C++ design". Hm so maybe he will let me borrow his old book now

Anyway, I think I want my own copy of "Design Patterns" so I'll order that.

Thanks again.

[edited by - lowlevel on November 6, 2002 9:33:59 AM]
both excellent books, modern c++ design is mind blowing. neither of them are books that you read and take in and remember and take back to the library. they're both good references, design patterns more so.

you might be able to get an offer of both together from one of these new fangled internet shopping sites which sells book and tracks 'other books you might find interesting'. i think i've seen them both together before. go to kelkoo too. i think that's the correct link for you.

[edited by - petewood on November 6, 2002 10:01:18 AM]
Heh, I bought Modern C++ Design today, just a few hours ago. I''ve only skimmed through it so far, but it sure looks interesting

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement