• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ao

Old DirectX3 sdk

This topic is 6943 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Where can I download old dx sdks? I tried looking on microsofts site, but there was nothing... I also tried searching the message board here for any similar questions in the past but I get an sql something something error... So I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that has them? ao

Advertisement
I guess it is really none of my business, but why would you want old ones? Sorry, I have no idea where to download them from.

-Icarus

So my dx programs can run on a pc with dx3 min... It''s a safety measure.. If I only have dx3 libs and header files then I will be absolutely sure that they will work with dx3.

Think of how many NT4.0 SP3 machines are out there waiting to run your app but can''t because of your dx version requirements.

I know I can put DX_INPUTVERSION 0x0300 and all that stuff, but I''d rather have the dx3 sdk to be sure.

nuff said.

I think at this point I''d like to reiterate Icarus''s question:

Why?

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

My first suggestion would be forgetting about Windows NT 4.0. I realize a lot of people still use it, but the number of people who use it as a primary system for gaming is pretty insignificant.

I''d guess the vast majority of people who play games (other than your basic solitaire) with NT4.0 systems have either upgraded to Windows 2000, making it no longer an issue, or have a second system or dual-boot system to play games under Windows 98. If the game is of the "play-at-the-office-maybe-solitaire-type", DirectX is overkill and you might want to consider ditching it altogether and using GDI/waveOut/standard input methods.

Or... look into creating or using someone else''s (like SDL) slightly higher level APIs which will try to use DirectX for things and if it can''t get DirectX methods, will fall back to the old standards like GDI.

Now is the point where I realize my advice will be ignored, and give you a more direct (but in my opinion, more ''wrong'' overall) answer..If you have DX > 3 (5, 6, 7...) installed as your SDK and want to ensure compatibility with the old runtimes, use DIRECT*_VERSION defines:

#define DIRECTDRAW_VERSION 0x0300
#define DIRECT3D_VERSION 0x0300

....etc

Define these before you include the appropriate header file (such as ddraw.h for DirectDraw).

Lars W./granat: Thank you...

gmcbay: I know alot of people that use NT4.0 and would like to play games other than solitare on there pc, but also want to run just NT4.0. Not all people are going to just magically upgrade to 2000, it will take time, years maybe. The part about me ignoring your information, huh? You tell me I''m not taking your stuff in? maybe you should re-read my 2nd post that says I know I can use the Direct version defines, before you tell me I should use them.

Now that that is said, I''m not asking for anyone to convince me that I don''t need this or I should use this/that method. I just want to know if there is a place where they have the older dx sdk stored for download.

ao

uninstall the sdk you have currently installed, and reinstall VC++ 5.0 cause it comes with dx3 sdk

There are plenty of reasons why you would want to code for DirectX 3. Maybe it''s a simple desktop game that you just want to run anywhere. Maybe you are writing in support for both v3 and v7. Maybe the game uses OpenGL or Glide and just needs DirectX for input or sound [i.e. you can run Unreal Tournament under NT 4 with a Voodoo 3 card, no problem].

That said, you aren''t going to find the DirectX 3 SDK easily. However, you can install the DirectX 7a SDK (not runtime) under NT and use the defines indicated in the DX7 docs.

Microsoft use to have the DirectX 3 docs on their site so you could tell what is supported. But I can''t find them now, so http://nathany.com/dx3bdocs.zip [900K].

Note that the version of DirectPlay has been upgraded in each NT service pack. SP3 has DPlay 5.2. SP4 has 6.0. And SP5 has DPlay 6.1a. I believe you can download the DPlay 6.1a update separately though. There are docs for DX 6.1 with the DX7 SDK. All other components are at v3 level.

I heard a rumour somewhere that there will be a SP 7.5 that will bring NT up to DirectX 5.0. Might just be a rumour though.

Nathan.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!