• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ao

Old DirectX3 sdk

This topic is 6968 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Thanks for your help guys/gals.. I think I''ll go with pavlos
idea and use the Visual C++ trick, I didn''t know thats what version it came with.

ao

Nathany said:

>There are plenty of reasons why you would want to code for
>DirectX 3. Maybe it''s a simple desktop game that you just
>want to run anywhere.

In that case it would be better to use the older Windows APIs like GDI and waveOut. DirectX is overkill.

He also said:

>I heard a rumour somewhere that there will be a SP 7.5
>that will bring NT up to DirectX 5.0. Might just be a >rumour though.

Not likely. Microsoft wants people to move to Windows 2000. Any future SPs for NT will just be bug fixes. They won''t add new features like DX5 support. You can get a version of DX5 SDK for NT (I don''t think Microsoft ever released it publically though) that allows you to develop DX5 titles on NT4, but the actual runtime included doesn''t have any hardware acceleration support, its all software emulated.

In response to ao''s response of my response:

Just use the DEFINEs, you are overcomplicating your task. The defines work fine. They''ve worked fine for me...They''ve worked fine for other people I know who have used them.

Besides, even if you compile with the DX3 SDK, the only way you could be REALLY sure it works under NT is to run it under NT as a test once its built. If you do have a copy of NT to test against, why bother installing the SDK? Running under NT once its built will be a good enough test to make sure the defines worked. If you don''t have a copy of NT to test against, you won''t really know for sure if it runs OK anyway... DirectX incompatibilites are not the only issue that can show up when running Win32 code under NT.

Thats nice it has worked fine for you gmcbay and others. But as I said before, I know both ways to do it and I wanted to do it a certain way to be sure. I don''t see anything wrong with wanting to do it a certain way if I know the implications of doing it both ways. I understand it is easier to just use the defines, but ( in my mind ) I feel more sure it will work if I use the older sdk. So as I said before don''t bother trying to convince me.

I have, in the past, compiled code with the dx7 sdk using the defines to force a dx3 build and have had problems running the program on a machine with dx3 installed. My solution was to recompile on the dx3 machine ( no errors or warnings were produced that I had to fix ) and whola! it worked on both machines... hmmmm, I don''t know why it worked it just did.

anyways, this thread is done.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!