Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spider907

Pixel Plotting in DirectDraw 7

I am trying to write a simple function that fills a surface a certain color (the Back-Buffer surface). I am working in 16-bit 565 mode (i have checked this many times) and when I try to fill the surface using my function R:240, G:240, B:240 (a light grey colour), it fills it GREEN!. I don''t think it is anything to do with pitch because whilst testing this function, I divided the pitch of the surface (bytes) by the width of the surface (pixels) and it returned 2 hence 2-Bytes per pixel (1x16-Bit Word per pixel). I would be very grateful if someone could have a look at the following code to see if I have made any errors. Thanks, Spider907. // Screen Filling Code: // iHeight : Height of Surface // iWidth : Width of Surface // lpMem : Pointer to Locked Surface Memory for (UINT y = 0; y < iHeight; y++) { for (UINT x = 0; x < iWidth; x++) { ((WORD*)lpMem)[(y*iWidth)+x] = GraphicsMem_Get565Word(240,240,240); }; }; // GraphicsMem_Get565Word(r, g, b) Macro: #define GraphicsMem_Get565Word(r, g, b) (WORD) ((r << 11) | (g << 5) | (b))

I think the problem is in this line of code:

((WORD*)lpMem)[(y*iWidth)+x] = GraphicsMem_Get565Word(240,240,240);

I'll assume that lpMem is a BYTE pointer that you what to convert to a word pointer to plot a pixel. But from what you say is happenning it sounds like only part of the pixel is making it to the surface.

Try this:

*(WORD *)&lpMem[(y*iWidth)+x] = GraphicsMem_Get565Word(240,240,240);

this is how i think it works:

1. &lpMem[(y*iWidth)+x]; returns the correct address
2. (Word *); then casts the pointer to the correct type
3. *; finally puts a value in the address

Good Luck!!

[edit]
i see how your addressing works now. it should be ok then. (feeling dumb)

if you want to convert 24 bit color to 16 bit color 565 format:
GraphicsMem_Get565Word(r,g,b) (WORD)((r>>3)<<11)|((g>>2)<<5)|(b>>3);

[edited by - CodeJunkie on November 5, 2002 12:13:22 AM]

Your GraphicsMem_Get565Word macro is incorrect. You have 24 bits of information (1 byte for each of Red, Green, and Blue) and you''re fitting them into 16 bits of pixel space without removing the extra 8 bits at any stage. The result you''ll see is that your blue component is having an effect on the green component. Try drawing all the bitwise operations out on paper to see what you''ve done wrong.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]