• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sand_Hawk

Variable with the size of (long * long) and disk space determination

This topic is 5703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to be able to store the bytes written to disk in a variable, however, a long won't do. So I figured if I had the size of (long * long) I would be able to store enough bytes. Also, how can I use the Windows API to determine how much diskspace there is free? If you wonder why I can't do with 2 million or 4.2 million, I am writing a DiskSweeper. It writes 5 times random data into a file. However I want to show the user a sort of progress and how much data there is done. Sand Hawk ---------------- -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
My Site [edited by - Sand_Hawk on November 5, 2002 3:46:12 PM]

Advertisement
you could also try
unsigned int bigAssVariable : 999999999999999999999999 (insert your choice of massive number here)

I think this defines the size of the int in bits, but you''ll have to check it, ''cos I don''t have a C++ compiler with me

ChaosEngine: That last one won''t work, because you can only define custom variables types with a custom bit length inside a struct and they need to align to 8 bits.

DeanHarding: Thanks, I will work on it when I get home

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!