Variable with the size of (long * long) and disk space determination

Started by
3 comments, last by Sand_Hawk 21 years, 5 months ago
I want to be able to store the bytes written to disk in a variable, however, a long won't do. So I figured if I had the size of (long * long) I would be able to store enough bytes. Also, how can I use the Windows API to determine how much diskspace there is free? If you wonder why I can't do with 2 million or 4.2 million, I am writing a DiskSweeper. It writes 5 times random data into a file. However I want to show the user a sort of progress and how much data there is done. Sand Hawk ---------------- -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
My Site [edited by - Sand_Hawk on November 5, 2002 3:46:12 PM]
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Advertisement
With Visual C++, a 64-bit integer is __int64. And the API for determining free disk space is GetDiskFreeSpaceEx.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
you could also try
unsigned int bigAssVariable : 999999999999999999999999 (insert your choice of massive number here)

I think this defines the size of the int in bits, but you''ll have to check it, ''cos I don''t have a C++ compiler with me
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
ChaosEngine: That last one won''t work, because you can only define custom variables types with a custom bit length inside a struct and they need to align to 8 bits.

DeanHarding: Thanks, I will work on it when I get home

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
So define it inside a struct then and align it to 8 bits!
you read in data in 8bit sizes anyway....
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement