DOOM III

Started by
27 comments, last by PiXeLatiOn 21 years, 5 months ago
Hello , this post is about doom3 engine . It is meant to be a serious post , so we can keep track of what the latest technology used by id is . Please , share your knowledge and talk about the Doom3 engine . Anything,from rendering to physics ... Waiting for some serious posts
-Da Mr.RaSt3RiZah-
Advertisement
Check gamespy out they had a lot of stuff about it with some techie stuff from the man himself.
You could download the leaked e3 alpha and play around with the settings yourself. For example, you can have it render the stencil shadow volumes as wireframe triangles, etc.

Very educational! (In the words of Golden Boy)
Anyone know how the demo got leaked? It''s not like the id team is really big so it would be quite obvious. My best bet is that Carmack leaked it himself in order to create more hype about the game and let people have a taste of what''s to come Would be quite smart, really.

Anyway as far as the technology goes, I have been working on a similar type of engine. The things you''re gonna get (which you will have heard 1000 times by now) is per-pixel lighting with specular highlights (please note that per pixel lighting and dot3 bump mapping are one and the same) and stencil shadows. I haven''t really played the demo but I assume they are using detail maps and environment maps too.

A word of warning: My friend was playing the demo with his GeForce 4, and at times he would get rather low frame rates. I''m suprised that it''s supposed to run on any geForce card. Mind you, you can turn off a lot of the graphics features in the game to improve performance.
Poya, the demo had been sent to several hardware manufacturers (Nvidia, ATI at least) and judging from Carmack's comment on Slashdot, it leaked from there, but it's not known (to public) from which company. Word on street says it was ATI, but I wouldn't take it as the truth .

They don't use detail maps but they do have gloss maps (in addition to bump maps and stencil shadows, of course)

Btw.. Isn't bump-mapping really "per-texel-lighting" instead of "per-pixel-lighting"? After all, the lighting model isn't any more accurate than the bump texture.

cin >> Boost >> GOTW tips >> GOTW articles >> CUJ expert columns >> FAQ lite;

[edited by - Hanz on November 6, 2002 6:25:43 AM]
I bet it was nVidia...but let''s not start a flamewar.

I wanna know how many polys that engine can push!

Was it written in C or C++? I can''t remember which they said...C for the engine and C++ for the game?

I don''t think DOOM3 will sell all that well, too high SysReq.
Sup guys?
The Inquirer says: ATi did leak Doom III demo.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
It''s Doom! It''ll sell!

Remember, people are stupid

And it''s gonna be coooooool.. .

/Sandman
________________________________pro.gram.mer - an organism that turns caffeine into code
quote:Original post by SuperRoy
I wanna know how many polys that engine can push!
Isn''t that totally irrelevan information? If it pushed 20 M flat-shaded polygons per second, it''d look like crap. But now it pushes much less polygons but they all have bumpmaps, gloss maps, and there''s the stencil shadowing going on. It''s the quality instead of quantity of the polygons that makes new games look sweet.
quote:Was it written in C or C++? I can''t remember which they said...C for the engine and C++ for the game?
Some parts of the renderer were still C I think, but the new stuff (game logic, physics, AI etc) should be C++.
quote:I don''t think DOOM3 will sell all that well, too high SysReq.
That''s not true. The leaked one runs almost adequately (10-15 FPS) even on a Geforce 256 DDR. It should run perfectly fine on GF3 and better, and the release is likely around June next year so most gamers will have cards like that or even better. And they''re still optimizing it.. I''m telling you, the game is a must buy. The athmosphere is just incredible.
What''s a gloss map?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (9th September)diaries for week #5

Also I''m selling a few programming books very useful to games coders. Titles on my site.

John 3:16

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement