Number of Levels Question

Started by
5 comments, last by FrancoisSoft 21 years, 5 months ago
In a 2D Mario-like game how many levels should such a game have so that it doesn''t get too boring or is not too short? I have a lot of ideas for levels. Would 100 levels be a good number? My levels will be about the same length as the ones in Super Mario World.
Advertisement
"As many as there needs to be."

Firgure out how much the game needs by arranging a map and placing these levels logically. For instance, if you have a cave, you wouldn''t have 30 levels packed into it. Some 3 or 4 would fit. Then figure out how many caves you want. 2 caves, 8 underground levels.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
divide your story into parts of similar size (acts). eg find The Lost Palace, rescue The King, ...

divide each act into one or more objectives. eg get The Key, destroy The Machine, kill The Bodyguard, ...

create one map for each objective. organise these maps into logical groups on a map, as above.

set the length of the level based on difficulty, and boredom from having too many levels.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
if you can keep every level different from the level before, fun and challenging, then the number of levels doesn''t matter (even if it means 200+ levels) but try to throw some surprises to amuse the player and keep him glued to the game.
((work for the world like you will never die, and work for the hereafter like you will die tomorrow)) - Prophet Mohammed.
If the game is very story-driven, then that is going to dictate the number of levels. Otherwise, the only limit is how many fun levels you can think of making. When it starts to get boring or repetitive, you''ve made too many. Don''t be afraid to get rid of a level if it isn''t fun.
I''m pretty sure that "Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels" was made up mostly of levels that were too hard for the original game or otherwise didn''t make the cut. It was included as a part of the Super NES Super Mario Bros. cartridge as a bonus.

My point is, you can never make too many levels. The more you make, the more you can choose from to put into the final product. Depending on how your game is designed, you can always give the "Lost Levels" to people who register the game as a bonus, or as a download on your website after a few months to maybe stretch the interest time a bit further. Sorta like an "extended DVD cut" or something. Make it seem like a challenge or something.

£§
£§
But watch out with the number 100. If you do a game, don''t say the number of levels, don''t do like:«Entering level 87» It will only discourage people, trust me, people won''t want to go up to level 100, do as Walkingcrarcass said, divide your game, and also, give a name to each of your levels so they wont think it''s a level like everyone else.

Another good tihng, make your caracter evole, like if he gets and extra equipement or an extra item each level, that may glue the player.

-Monk

http://newgatetech.topcities.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement