Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the...!

This topic is 5514 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I came home today and found my computer frozen solid. It was in Windows at the time, so I didn''t really think anything about it. I rebooted the computer and tried to boot Linux, but guess what? It didn''t work! Something had gone HORRIBLY wrong! Linux made a few feeble attempts to repair it, but nothing worked, and I sure as hell dont know how to fix it. How could my Linux partition have blown up like that when I was running WINDOWS?! Surely Windows didn''t ATTACK it, did it? I didn''t do ANYTHING to Linux! It was working fine the last time I was in it! Is it possible I got some kind of Windows virus that decided to screw with the MBR and screwed up Linux too?

Hmmm... I noticed during the bootup a message about "dri" causing some error. I remember that i was getting errors about not having proper permissions to my video card when trying to start OpenGL stuff, so I followed the directions of the NVidia driver''s README and I remember I added or did something with some "dri" line in some permissions file.

Perhaps I screwed that up. It also seems like my linux partition has become read-only, which would probably be the reason why it can''t boot.

I''m trying to fix it now...

I DID IT! HA HA! I FIXED LINUX ALL BY MY LITTLE SELF!

If Linux were an RPG, I would have just leveled up a few times!

Here''s what i did:

Stick in the Mandrake CD #1
Pressed F1 for more options
Typed "rescue"
Mouted my partitions under /mnt
Edited /etc/security/console.perms and deleted that last permission thing down at the VERY bottom
Rebooted.

Poof! Linux booted! Ha ha!